Gravity Slingshot for rapid astronaut movement?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I want to nestle my CNC/Bridge deep within the bowels of my ship where among other things I will have my ship core. However I also want to be able to quickly enter my ship's core from outside the ship and exit my ship from the core. Manually walking/floating that distance every time will rapidly become such a tedious routine that I am sure I will regret not having an easy to access bridge, even though that also means easy to destroy.

What I am wondering is if it would not be possible to create a corridor (or set of corridors) that have gravity modules strategically placed and perhaps area triggers at the various ends to trigger things, such that when activated at one end of the corridor, it rapidly moves me to the other, and of course does the same in the other direction. Has anyone successfully built anything like this before? I tried a while back and met with very mixed results.

Reaction score
    I was thinking about this a while ago too. I didn't get around to playing with it as I rebuilt the station where I wanted to do this. I would assume this would work like a gravity elevator just horizontally instead of vertical.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Assuming that you will create winding corridors to avoid creating a firing lane into your CNC, setting up a single corridor for both exit and entry might be complex. It would probably be more efficient to create entry corridor(s) separate from exit corridor(s) for rapid travel with area-triggered gravity modules.

http://starmadedock.net/content/gravity-tube-demo.2334/

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Thank you. This is exactly what I need. Sadly the system is broken, I suspect because the range of gravity generators has changed (I surmise) since this demo was built. Also sadly, there is no explanation as to what the logic circuitry is doing, or even what it is there for.

I probably will do as you suggest, create two corridors with 'dumbfire' gravity generators activated by area triggers and try to trial and error my way through it. Likely the only 'logic' I will add is a button to control from the bridge whether the entry doors to the ship are open or closed. This way I could maybe dump myself fifty meters in front of my ship if I preferred. That would be useful to spare me the walking of those fifty meters when I am docked to my station (which has just such a distance from the docking area to my factory/storage area.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Thank you. This is exactly what I need. Sadly the system is broken, I suspect because the range of gravity generators has changed (I surmise) since this demo was built. Also sadly, there is no explanation as to what the logic circuitry is doing, or even what it is there for.

I probably will do as you suggest, create two corridors with 'dumbfire' gravity generators activated by area triggers and try to trial and error my way through it. Likely the only 'logic' I will add is a button to control from the bridge whether the entry doors to the ship are open or closed. This way I could maybe dump myself fifty meters in front of my ship if I preferred. That would be useful to spare me the walking of those fifty meters when I am docked to my station (which has just such a distance from the docking area to my factory/storage area.
    It doesn't work anymore? Weird....

Basically, just place an activation block (non-toggle) next to an area trigger controller and connect it to a gravity module with the orientation you want. When a player activates the area triggers they'll get shifted into the direction of gravity the gravity unit is placed in. The simplest way to do it is to make one-way tubes, if you want single two way tube it becomes a fuckton more complicated, so I don't recommend it (since area triggers only activate gravity one logic chain level up).

I heard people talk about range from core issues, but I haven't had any problems with Charon's (My titan's) gravity tubes. Weird, since some gravity tubes get something like 200m away from the core, if not more. The way I have it in my ship is that doors automatically close at the exit mouth of tubes, so the only way out is by going into the right tube (since the other one is closed).
    Notice the plex door at the top, that's the entry point. The players get dropped there, and the only way out is to go in the lit up tube (the core room is behind the point of view). Every room is connected to a central hub, so you don't even have to know your way around in order to go somewhere. It's literally impossible to get lost :D

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    as long as you are cool with activating the sling by hand i suggest building a zip tube just offering two trigger areas at the end which will again put you into the correct gravity for the ship like top is up bottom is down ... you could build more complex systems which would allow for autodetection and then throwing you around even around corners but most likely you would end up building two seperate tunnels for entering and exiting that is why i don't mind having to trigger the effect manually spares me a bunch of work which does not add much effect and also more space for systems because just one tunnel.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I want to nestle my CNC/Bridge deep within the bowels of my ship where among other things I will have my ship core. However I also want to be able to quickly enter my ship's core from outside the ship and exit my ship from the core. Manually walking/floating that distance every time will rapidly become such a tedious routine that I am sure I will regret not having an easy to access bridge, even though that also means easy to destroy.

What I am wondering is if it would not be possible to create a corridor (or set of corridors) that have gravity modules strategically placed and perhaps area triggers at the various ends to trigger things, such that when activated at one end of the corridor, it rapidly moves me to the other, and of course does the same in the other direction. Has anyone successfully built anything like this before? I tried a while back and met with very mixed results.
    I created this on one of my large ships and after 200 or so blocks of falling down a corridor (still within the ship) the gravity effect was lost after a certain point. Re-Touching a grav block would flicker me for 1 moment back into gravity, then the next moment id be floating again. The only way to get back in gravity was to fly back to where i original touch the very first block before starting my fall.
    TLDR: Works but buggy after a certain distance on a ship.