game website redesign.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    a while ago schema announced tha tthe gaame website would ber undergoing a major redesign.

so I thought it mite be about time to start discussing that change now. we know it means a few changes to the forums. but I personally think the catalog system is getting a tad dated as well.

right now the ship tab or whats esentually the catalog which our ship blueprint files are uploaded to from in game, is just a file archive that lists the ships in no really reliable way for users to locate what they upload, much less try to find anything else they want. this is making it very user unfriendly. that becomes a real problem.

I do not know anything about web design, but I do understand basic business. if your customer cannot find thier desired service, they will go elsewhere to get it. this is bad for you if your the one suposed to provide the service.

there is however, a generaly simple solution to this problem. adding a search function would make it easier to find things in the catalog. but why stop there? what this change intails is the operttunity to change the format for which the catalog displays results as well. what if it could be possible to also format the uploads to display pertinent and needed information all from within the game. why not allow us to format and make visual changges to the posting before they are uploaded. we could then post pictures of the blueprints automatically with screencaptures, and we could even have the ships statistics data, (all that jumbled up information you can see in the top corner of the advanced build mode UI.) automatically generate in the file data as well and show up on the upload post page.

all of this seems plausable given my understanding of how it works. the game basically has all this information in the files when they are uploaded, we just dont see any of it clientside becaus the launcher handles it when we import them to our games. I see no reason why it cannot simply dispaly it on the site the same way as well.

I dont understand the plan that is intended, nor do I have any inside information. I simply am making casual observations based upon what ive seen. take it as you will, but I just thought now was the time to start voicing our desires before they make the changes.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    right now the ship tab or whats esentually the catalog which our ship blueprint files are uploaded to from in game, is just a file archive that lists the ships in no really reliable way for users to locate what they upload, much less try to find anything else they want. this is making it very user unfriendly. that becomes a real problem.

no really reliable way for users to locate what they upload

You are aware that there are tabs on the catalog menu that let you organize ships by uploader, right? It shows everyone that YOU BUILT IT. This is not an issue.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    He means the ship page on the website, not the in game catalog.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    yes sorry i didnt make that more clear, I do mean the website not the in game menu, right now the two are clearly devided and seporated. I think the redesign should make this less the case. they need to work together.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    http://star-made.org/content/ever-had-one-those-moments-chat-where-you-were-just-things-happened-and-then-happiness#comment-91549

We need tables and make long posts scroll-able (not just by the whole side).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    This site can or should go under renervation because of all of the reasons said and I am only a 16 year old kid, and I can make a better. Site than this and I have...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think alot of this sites problems arent level of or even quality of content, what I really think is that it all comes down to format. its not what is displayed, its how it is arranged. if the information is presented in a readable fashion it dostn matter how much or how little the volume is if you arrange it right, it becomes easilly usable.

so rather than clutter up this thread with posts like above,

\"Yes...

This site can or should go under renervation because of all of the reasons said and I am only a 16 year old kid, and I can make a better. Site than this and I have...\"

not that im calling you out or anything just using you as an example dont take offence please.

lets instead try to keep the criticism towards usefull thoughts. simply \"it fuckin sucks balls!\" is useleess to me, as the author, if you dont tell me WHY!!!!!! agian not calling anyone out just trying to convey the concept please do not take a personal offence.

anyway moving on thats what i think the site just needs a bit or organization to make it like the game have the two format in a way that they work in harmany.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    \"Yes...

This site can or should go under renervation because of all of the reasons said and I am only a 16 year old kid, and I can make a better. Site than this and I have...\"

First, please use the quote function :P (Or if you prefer to edit html)

I think it doesn\'t need too much changes.

Fix image size by default, make too long posts scroll-able, add a standard avatar, use horizontal rulers between posts, ...

And then add a chat-import function, support for some image-upload sites (like imgur.com) - mainly to get the direct link for image and full link automatically - and improve the ship page.

Spam? We just need to sort suggestions into: \"Blocks, Block-Config, Server-Defaults\", auto-delete all suggestions which are not updated for some time and less than 3 users posted and add a Forum newbes-guide which appears (read this first) in each new thread-textfield

We (community and mods) should link similar threads together and - in suggestions - have an option to either drop/keep the own post on a merge.

Ships, Factions and Player sections need a search/sort function, but that doesn\'t happen by dropping all forum/css-code or redo everything.

From what I know, this would solve all the issues.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    \"Soon\".

It\'s coming along nicely, don\'t worry.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    I can;t tell you anything about the new website other than _REDACTED_

I will say that if you felt this site was dated I can positively inform you that the new design is _REDACTED_

Of course whent he NDA is lifted I can share more but suffice it to say, it will deliver what you are looking for with extra _REDACTED_

Tomino Sama
    MushroomFleet

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    ok first of all, I am not a moderator. So please do not contact me about jobs for a Web Developer! I am nither offering nor am I permitted to hire one. if you wish to try contact Schema or one of the other developers for the game I am not permitted nor interested in contact over it.

P.S yes this is in direct responce to such messages.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    OK, the purpose of this topic I\'snt to draw attention to the sites need for a redesign. It is also not to complain about the site. It is also not to put out calls for web designers out of work! so dont bother going any further.

It is however to make known what we want to change. now is the time to start asking, and that is what we need to start doing. start discussing what features we want from the site. we need to voice our wants and concerns for the site. I for one would like to start for a more robust forums with a watch topic feature for better tracking on important topics.

Pholopalus

あなたは笑う、あなたは失う
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Don\'t worry. Most issues with the current site will be addressed or have already been with the new site.

fire219

1200° Plasma
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Others have said this above, but the new site is indeed coming. Can\'t say too much due to the NDA, but I will say that it is a massive improvement (visually, layout, backend) over this one, and should be coming in the next couple of months.