Game not launching (Linux)

Reaction score
    Hi all,

So the game downloaded and the launcher works, but I see the following in the terminal, and the game doesn't actually launch.

Code:
    event      Launching game
        event      Loading memory settings
                    | maxMemory:      4096
                    | initialMemory:  512
                    | earlyGenMemory: 128
                    | ceiling:        11917
        info       Using bundled Java
                    | bin path: /home/stan/Downloads/starmade/Linux/dep/java/jre1.7.0_80/bin
        info       Child process: detached
        info       Custom java args:
                    | -Xincgc -server
    Code:
    [9582:0218/191224:INFO:CONSOLE(13550)] "Error: spawn EACCES
        at exports._errnoException (util.js:814:11)
        at ChildProcess.spawn (internal/child_process.js:298:11)
        at exports.spawn (child_process.js:343:9)
        at Scope.launch (/home/stan/Downloads/starmade/Linux/resources/app.asar/lib/controllers/launch.js:594:17)
        at fn (eval at <anonymous> (/home/stan/Downloads/starmade/Linux/resources/app.asar/node_modules/angular/angular.js:14432:15), <anonymous>:2:332)
        at expensiveCheckFn (/home/stan/Downloads/starmade/Linux/resources/app.asar/node_modules/angular/angular.js:15485:18)
        at callback (/home/stan/Downloads/starmade/Linux/resources/app.asar/node_modules/angular/angular.js:25018:17)
        at Scope.$eval (/home/stan/Downloads/starmade/Linux/resources/app.asar/node_modules/angular/angular.js:17229:28)
        at Scope.$apply (/home/stan/Downloads/starmade/Linux/resources/app.asar/node_modules/angular/angular.js:17329:25)
        at HTMLAnchorElement.<anonymous> (/home/stan/Downloads/starmade/Linux/resources/app.asar/node_modules/angular/angular.js:25023:23)", source: /home/stan/Downloads/starmade/Linux/resources/app.asar/node_modules/angular/angular.js (13550)
    Does anyone know how to fix this?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You need to use jre 1.8

I've been using starmade-launcher binary inlcuded with Steam. This seems to work best for now . The game is being updated for jdk 10/11

Reaction score
    How do I specify which java to use? Because I have both OpenJDK and Oracle.

EDIT: I installed Oracle's JDK in a folder similar to the one that came with the game.
    Code:
    bin path: /home/stan/Downloads/starmade/Linux/dep/java/jre1.7.0_80/bin
    Code:
    bin path: /home/stan/Downloads/starmade/Linux/dep/java/jre1.8.0_281/bin
    but I specified it as custom.
    Now the game launches but will instantly crash and I need to restart the whole machine.

EDIT #2: Tried the steam demo and it starts the menu in the game, but crashes when trying to spawn in. Also sound doesn't want to work.
    This game is loving me right now xD

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I know its a little late but for anybody else who encounters this error, the launcher doesnt have read/write permissions in the game folder.

All you need to do is use chmod recursive to give everybody the read-write permission
    Bash:
    chmod -R 777 <your_starmade_folder_path_here>/

Reactions: 11qazxc