[FWIB] Planets, mining and asteroids.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Fixing What Isn't Broke: Planet killing
    or
    Making planet atomization lucrative but dangerous.

I have a love/hate with planets. I like big planets. I dislike how they lag. Planets can be very interesting to explore. They can also be very frustrating to get lost on. Something that's really gotten caught in my gear box has been what happens to planets when we blow one up and how buggy that has been in the past. I have a suggestion though. Let me get some stuff out of the way first.

How it works now (roughly):
    Step one: Build a super weapon that can destroy a planetary core. Not too hard if you have the time.
    Step two: Chargin ya lazah. Or rather firing it until the planet pops.
    Step three: Collect your booty. Which usually ends when you get bored of mining the slowly worsening features of a pentagonal coin.
    or
    *Just delete the damn thing with admin commands because you have no imagination and prefer fundamentals over fun..

How it could work:
    Step one: see previous "Step one"
    Step two: SSDD
    Step three: T-Minus the heck out of Dodge city. The sector just had a planet blow up and the heat and energy released are about to fry you.
    Step four: RUN, STUPID. You think one sector away from that much destruction is a safe distance? RUN.
    Step five: Allow old planet sector and all surrounding sectors 24-48 hours to cool.
    Step six: Return to verify the planet is gone but also scan the few chunks of remaining debris to calculate the trajectories of the ejected planetary masses.
    Step seven: Map and seek new asteroid sectors that appear randomly in the system with plentiful minerals previously found on the planet but not in the same concentrations. These will be much richer.
    Step eight: Harvest all your fresh new materials. But once they are gone they are gone for good and do not respawn.
    or
    *see previous asterisk

The take away:
    This would incentivize blowing up planets that are unclaimed. In addition it would be wise to very quickly gather all the location data and the resources therein before someone else steals the data or your hard earned mats. This can be made even more urgent by spawning rare mats that only occur when planet segments with specific minerals are fused by the reaction. Imagine harvesting valuable glowing crystal just because one segment managed to have the needed raw materials to produce it. A literal 'roid of space gold you didn't have to build a huge factory to produce.
    or
    No take away. I just thought it sounded cool and gave me an excuse to post.

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The problem is planet mining becomes so hard no one would do it. For this system to be viable asteroid mining would need to be nerfed too.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I think planet mining should be so hard that most people don't bother... it beats logging into busy servers that haven't been reset in 3 months and finding 90% of planets within a 3-system radius of spawn all devoured like a plague of planet-locusts have come through. As long as something like this didn't preclude any surface-side mining options.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    I think planet mining should be so hard that most people don't bother... it beats logging into busy servers that haven't been reset in 3 months and finding 90% of planets within a 3-system radius of spawn all devoured like a plague of planet-locusts have come through. As long as something like this didn't preclude any surface-side mining options.
    If a planet is faction'd then I'd see no problem TBH. IF they are willing to put their name on it then they can afford for it to look diseased. If someone else comes along and pops a fac'd space dodecahedron then guess who knows where all the rich chunks ended up before the cool down even finishes? You blow up someone's planet they can call dibs on the loot. Seems fair to me >:3

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'm hoping schema finds a way to make the break off configuration in Starmade work.
    This would allow for planet destruction on a fragment basis, and if the break off works with ships where it splits the entity in two we could potentially see tons of entities floating around. And that in itself could be very laggy.

Positively wishing though, I would love to see a fragmentation system where all the entities are able to be split into fragments.
    That way, you could shear off a peice of a planet and the planet is still a planet, but with a huge chunk ripped out of it. And the chunk is floating off like an asteroid. It would also open up the posibility of making asteroids either random like the are now, or a planet chunk floating in space.
    Although, you could already make the planet chunk style asteroids now I guess.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That would be the ideal but I'd hate to be in charge of a server where three or four people are popping planets at the same time.
    True! popping anything really. Although, if it's possible without lag that would be a lot of fun.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I like this suggestion quite a bit, maybe itll be used for the new planets being worked on schema

I wouldnt say nerf asteroids just yet, first we need to know waht sort of resource rates the new planets will offer, and how theyll work in general.

Reactions: MossyStone48