Fury Interceptor from Warhammer 40K

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yo, I wanted to make something from the WH40K universe, so I decided to start with something a bit small in comparison to a lot of the other stuff they have.

I found this lil' guy in the Lexicanium, so I tried to replicate it well enough into Starmade.

Here are a few pictures:

Let me know what you think. I've been building stuff like this for a while, but this is the first time I've actually tried duplicating something from a popular IP in a game.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thanks,

Unfortunately It turns like s*** so I\'m going to have to try and address that. It won\'t be a very good interceptor If I can\'t make it turn faster.

I\'m also wondering, due to the scale of the actual planets in this game, whether I should make a smaller version of it to actually fill the Interceptor role. As it stands, it\'s a pretty large vessel, but it\'s one of the smallest ones in the Imperial Navy.

I would like to fly around an Imperium Battle Barge, but due to the massive scale I don\'t know if that would be feasible Unless I scaled it back.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    By the look of it in starmade, i think it would be some kind of heavy fighter or gunship.

Reaction score
    most variants are 70 meters in length! so it will be big. that is its major disadvantage. it was the main reason it lost the debate agents the X-Wing.

Reaction score
    Unfortunately It turns like s*** so I\'m going to have to try and address that. It won\'t be a very good interceptor If I can\'t make it turn faster.

Unfortunately you have to keep ships under like 100 mass for them to turn very fast... so trying to make a nice looking fighter class ship is nearly impossible without having to sacrifice one of the three: weapons, mass (turn speed), or looks

It would be nice if the mass -> turning speed dropoff was much higher, so actual fighters could be something other than shields, power and AMCs.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    i have a over 300 mass ship that can turn like crazy, and a massive battlecruiser tht can do the same.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Yeah, it\'s ever so unbalanced right now. From my experience thrusters help turning speed, but, unfortunately, it\'s only apparent on larger scales. So, \"heavy\" fighters need to be unfairly tiny, when in actuality they are, obviously, much larger.

I agree with Draco. Turning speed needs to be rebalanced.

HOWEVER, the beauty of the situation is that Schema will get around to turn speed it and will rebalance it if he so chooses. I have no idea why he wouldn\'t.

Reaction score
    What exactly is your defination of \"turns like crazy\"? How long does it take you to do a full 360 rotation on both top/bottom and left/right?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    it needs more dakka (everything needs more dakka), and it should be red so it goes faster. :)

Turning speed is completly based off of mass (at the time of this post) nothing else. If you want some data read this wall of text:

Experiments and results:

60mass, 100m long, controlled from core/center 0 thrust: ~12 seconds to do a 360

60 mass, cube shaped, controlled from core/center, 0 thrust: ~12 seconds to do a 360

60 mass, cube shaped with 237.3 thrust controlled from core/center: ~12 seconds for a 360.

60 Mass, 100m long, controlled from core/center, 237.7 thrust: ~12 seconds

60 mass, 100m long, controlled from core/center, Side facing thrusters at the far points of the \"ship\": (odd note, the animation for the engines still points to the rear despite making sure thruster is facing sideways) ~12 seconds

60 mass, 100m long, 237.3 thrust Controlled from the cockpit at front of ship: ~12 seconds

60 mass, 100m long, 237.3 thrust, Controlled from rear of ship: (rather disorienting controlling from the rear) ~12 seconds.

Conclusion: the only thing that matters for turning (as of the time of this posting) is the mass of the ship. Not where you control, nor how much thrust you have.

Hopefully the turning physics will be improved, either by adding \"Manuvering thrusters\" or making turning physics be bassed off of thrust/mass so you can design more manueverability or more shields/weapons/whatever into your ship.

A simpler method than calculating engine position compared to the core and facing, or adding another block type may be to simply change from using total mass to mass/thrust in the turn speed calculation. Obviously some tweaking in the code would need to be done to use this smaller number but that should be simple. Thrusters have diminishing returns as far as I can tell so while using mass/thrust super massive ships shouldn\'t ever be able to be as maneuverable as much smaller ships.

With this system you could add more engines, upping your thrust, to increase turn rate. Or you could choose to be more powerful in other ways.

A more complicated calculation should be used so \"fighters/bombers\" turn faster even with an equivalent mass/thrust ratio to a \"titan\". For example my current fighter is 147.5 mass (not counting turrets, I\'m not sure if they add to the total mass) and it has 204 thrust so that ratio is .723. With the current system it takes ~25 seconds for this ship to do a 360. I\'d like that to be around 10 seconds I think (I\'d need to play with it, but with this system a ship could be easily customized to turn at a rate you like, within reason). However if a ship had 72303 mass and 10,000 thrust it would also have a .723 mass/thrust ratio; but it shouldn\'t be able to turn as fast as the fighter, so some sort of consideration must be taken to prevent titans from turning like fighters.

Maybe a tier system: 0-300 mass = fighter, 301-600 = bomber and so on, each with it\'s own configurable speed multiplier. These are totally off the top of my head so feel free to suggest different tiers, or make them configurable (I love messing with config files). So a \"fighter\" could have a tier rating of 1 giving a calculation of (147.5/204)*1 so a .723 ratio. Whereas the \"titan\" could have a tier rating of .5 giving a calculation of (72303/10000)*.5 equaling a .3615 ratio. Then maybe make the ratio be 36 degrees per second * the ratio, giving my \"fighter\" a turn rate of 26.028 degrees per second. That would make it take ~14 seconds to turn 360 degrees. The \"titan\" would therefore turn at 13 degrees per second or one rotation per 28 seconds (that seems fast, maybe make the tier smaller?). Again, these are off the top of my head number that seem to work so if you have better ideas I\'m open to suggestions.

Edit: I\'m a derp, this only works if thrust>mass, would someone fix my math, while I go study for my trig test because I obviously need to >.>

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I just scrapped my interceptor for the same reason and by the looks of it mine was smaller than yours.

My light point defense fighters turn ok and they are around the 300 block mark. But yeah right now fighters are kinda bad. I dont want to fly a mass of exposed systems into combat!

I want to live!

Reaction score
    The Officio Assassinorum would be interested in this intercepter. Can you send the scamatics or blueprint? We require an intercepter to despose of some Hell Talons.

High Lord of Terra, reddragonfall

Grand Master of Assassins