Furniture - Detailing Block (invisible reference block)

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    We already have a lot of suggestions on getting furniture and such, and as far as I can tell, that kind of thing is pretty much confirmed already.

This is about how we could place detail and furniture blocks and objects.

Carpets! Chairs! Desks! Wallpaper! Things like that.

Display modules likely aren't able to store their text in the limited 3 bytes that we dedicate to each individual block - at least, I personally can't imagine them being able to. They presumably store their text some other way. I'm thinking that it may be possible to use a similar system to how Display Modules store their information to create an invisible non-physical detailing block.

Basically, you place down any object marked as a non-block object (ie: a chair, a desk, a carpet, etc.), and it automatically creates the invisible Detailing Block at that position to store information about whatever details are in it.

There are two ways I can think of for managing the information storage aspect. Either we can make the positioning system inside of a detailing block another voxel set (8^3 positioning?), or we can simply make the non-block objects 3d objects, with the detailing block saving the non-block objects as a Model Name, a Position (relative to the block), and a Rotation (relative to the block). I prefer the latter solution, because it allows for more precise positioning of objects, and may also permit for objects larger than single blocks to be spawned.

tl;dr - when we add furniture, save furniture positions+rotations the same way we save text on display modules

Reactions: Mariux