FPS Issues - Solved (For OP)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    No matter what I have tried, my FPS hovers around 12-14, unless I am moving. At that point, it drops to 1-4.

System
    Quad core i7 2.2GHz
    GeForce GT640M LE
    12 GB RAM
    WIN 8.1
    Latest drivers for all
    Java 8 Update 25

RAM allocated is 8GB both ingame and Java. Graphics set to card only. I have turned shadows OFF.

I have seen postings of 200FPS, and do not know whether or not to believe them. But still, one would think that if I can run Minecraft with massive GregTech processing facilities at 30FPS on a bad day, I should be able to get SM to run faster.

Any tips or tricks to getting more out of the game? I had hoped this update would make a change, but this seems to be beyond my high-end rig.

Cheers!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Try lowering segments in graphics memory, turning off normal mapping, turning off shadows and using a 64 res texture pack.
    On a good day I can get 120fps on my crappy laptop, which has an AMD HD7670m card in it (terrible performance)

I get 400+ on my desktop, with a GTX 560

From what I can find about your card, it is pretty capable for a laptop GPU. So try saving vram and processing power by lowering segments in graphics memory, and texture pack resolution.

Reactions: mgwerner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Well, none of that did the trick. I had tried most of it before, and it makes no difference in the FPS.

I think the first time I noticed it was after the update that added all the planets. Before that (universe update?), I had not played much, but never had an FPS issue, although I was not paying attention to what I was getting.

Other suggestions welcome. It's not unplayable yet, but getting close.

Cheers

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Try a universe reset, at connection setup click tools > reset all worlds.

After this, in-game, use /sector_size (number)
    default is 1000. Try to aim for something higher, stop the strain on your system trying to draw everything.
    I use 20000 personally.

Reactions: mgwerner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Holy Crap!

I should have reset after the next to last update. I had not gotten the benefits of the new map, etc. Very cool.

FPS is up to 60 now, but I have no ship. Perhaps the FPS drop was due to the ship? I had a lot of power to run my salvage array, and was just flying around eating asteroids. I'll start again and see what happens as I grow a large ship again.

Thanks for the assist, Crusade. I have no planets in sight, and FPS is holding between 55-60.

Cheers, all. Guess it will be a late night for me here in China......

Reactions: Crusade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Try a universe reset, at connection setup click tools > reset all worlds.

After this, in-game, use /sector_size (number)
    default is 1000. Try to aim for something higher, stop the strain on your system trying to draw everything.
    I use 20000 personally.
    I have a reasonably large and powerful ship for mining (no specs as I am at work) and have had no FPS drops except for the usual planet issue. I just stay away from them.

I went back to 1000 for sector size, and no problems there, either.

Thanks again for the assist, on to building a planet eater.....

Cheers!

Reactions: Crusade