Fix the crappy curve for missile explosive radiuses

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Currently in the game a missile array of missile + pulse + explosive with full effect at 4 million damage leaves a tiny damage radius of only 8.1 blocks, even though it does 4 million damage. That makes no sense!
    I think this is absolutely pathetic and the curves/mechanics for missile radii need to be buffed.

Who's with me?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    As long as it happens in a sane way...

2/1 radius, 1/4 damage is realistic
    2/1 radius 1/8 damage may be better for balance (especially with punch-through).

So I would vote for either:
    multiplier = Math.floor( count^(1/8) )
    multiplier = Math.floor( count^(1/16) )​
    with multiplier affecting both radius and damage (but no other damage increase)

BTW: I hope you guys know that the damage happens not from the explosion fire, but the pressure wave - which is not present in a hard vacuum.
    In vacuum the damage comes from kinetic forces of exploding parts - if you want to learn more about it, search for "explosive propulsion".

Last edited:

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I think you may want to use Punch through with that Planr.
    I might be remembering wrong, but with Punch through the damage carries on, going past the Max Radius iirc. Might be wrong, Havent played with that myself.

Ignore this, When I tried to test it Punch through had Zero effect (Which in itself is odd). Thought I saw a thread somewhere about Punch Through and missiles, but cant find it anymore. Derp

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If the explosion kills 2 blocks behind each other, does punch through trigger twice?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah, it's ridiculous. Perhaps explosive should be a damage reduction, but an increase in radius on missiles, while punch-through makes the missile carve out a tube in the target. Piercing should make the missile explode inside the target.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Maybe explosive missiles should also blow up before reaching the target and throw a number of mini-explosives? That would reduce the possible damage to deeper layers.

I agree with ltmauve, but right now missiles don't work together with punch-through. Neither do shotguns :(

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    That would basically make all explosive missiles swarm missiles. Explosive effect modules should reduce damage but increase radius. (note: minimum damage for a pulse missile is 450 with 1 block) Radius should increase with the cube root of the blocks. Imagine a split between the blocks based on the ratio of the explosive effect. 100% all blocks increase radius, damage determined by missile type. 50% half the blocks increase radius, the other half increase damage.
    1000 d1000, 1000 pulse, 750 explosive -> 250 d1000 and 250 pulse determine damage, 750 d1000, 750 pulse, and 750 explosive determine radius.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    ltmauve
    number1: sqrt(blocks) as radius =>weapon blocks scale linearly to affected blocks.
    number2: damage
    blocks*damage = 4x dmg total for 2x blocks.
    3*3=9
    6*6=36
    36/9 = 4x​
    Total damage should scale linearly to weapon blocks.

But I can't guess how we should balance penetration to internal components vs area hull damage, because I am still not familiar enough with how hull will be structured (hardened top, normal below to be effective against pierce damage? etc). It is the combination of weapons which needs balanced counters.

Last edited by a moderator: