Fighters and small ships have scaled blocks

Reaction score
    First off i did scan the forums and could not find anything on this topic. Sorry if i am wrong...

I was playing a game similar to this game called space engineers and i was very impressed with some of the things there are doing, for example Capital ships use big blocks and Fighters use scaled blocks i thought that was a very good idea.

Basically its done by having two options when you first make a ship, Capital and small ship.

Stations use the same size blocks as Capitals, ships use scaled blocks i am not 100% sure on how much they scale the blocks but they look at leased 50% of the size of normal blocks.

If starmade where to adopted this idea this would mean we can get away with making smaller carrier ships, smaller flight decks = less lag, not that lag is a big issue on starmade, more options to build different designs, also could give small ships different movement specs.

The other part would be since Fighters or small ships have smaller blocks the stats of those blocks could be reduced, power , weapons ect.

Anyway hope you all like this idea and thanks for reading.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    did you not read the blurb where he said that small block stats would be reduced vs large blocks?

Reaction score
    I find this a cool idea. Would love to have smaller vessels next to lage titans. But could we not mix big and small blocks too? So that I use the small blocks for anything in the high of the player. lets say the now normal blocks are as big as the player. That would double the scale for ships :D

Reaction score
    It could work, and would allow more detailed ships.

But the because of the current \"one shot, one block destroyed\" gamestyle, this would be greatly overpowered.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I think the main point of this would be for fighters, as they are insanely weak compared to other ships. That isn\'t to say a fighter should be able to take out a capitol, but then again, look at pearl habour. A plane can easily take out a boat 500x its size, if it is equiped correctly.

Reaction score
    Planes do not shoot antimatter, nor do battleships have shields, thus your argument is invalid.

At the moment, fighters already take a long time to kill each other, if they use hardened hull.

If you do not like a gun the size of your entire ship killing you in a few shots, please leave.

To add, im fairly sure that a 20M long fighter should be \"insanely weak\" compared to a ship that has several hundred times it mass in shields alone.

Reaction score
    I fail to understand why people feel the need to copy features from other games. Let those games be unique, and focus on making starmade better. There are reasons that space engineers does scaled blocks, and that is because of the way game mechanics work. In space engineers, larger ships usually have gravity generators, that generate a field around the ship. The larger blocks allow people to build hallways easier, and allow for faster building. In starmade, half of the fun is spending the time and effort to create something large ans athstetically pleasing, while at the same time maximizing performance. With larger blocks, you limit the amount of possible detail, resulting in bland looking ships.... You could also just advance build-mode yourself 2x2x2 blocks of atuff, because technically, they are more powerful than just one block...

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I like the idea of subblocks, which isn\'t what you\'re suggesting.

Basically subblocks would be 1/8 normal size, but each cubic meter with subblocks in it would be treated as a full block (AMC destroys that point simultaneously rather than block-by-block)

I would rather see this be done by a mod though.