Factions and a populated universe

Reaction score
    I've read the other faction suggestions, and I think there are good ideas in them but I want to make one that's particularly scoped.

My factional model is highly influenced by the best faction system I've ever seen which was Drox Operative. If you haven't played that game, I highly recommend you do so.

Here's the basis of the suggestion :

There are any number of AI factions.
    Each faction :
    • has a series of traits which determine amongst other things their typical tactics, aggressiveness, hostility, tech levels, etc.
    • has a set of ships that they tend to build.
    • is limited to its economic resources in order to build fleets and ships

As the game progresses, factions spread by building new stations in unclaimed sectors. Once they claim a sector, they would colonize the planets in it. planetary colonies would be procedurally generated on the hex tiles in the existing planets.

I haven't thought about planetary colonies. Maybe there could be a "colony core" or something that can be attacked so they could be reduced / removed - not really clear on that.

INTERACTIONS

The AI will have relations to one another, and relations to the player(s). Allies to the player will call for help, enemies of the player will attack the player's allies and the player himself. Being in a hostile system will result in being pursued and attacked by ships that detect the player.

The goal here is to have a living, changing and dynamic backdrop in which the player is an important part. The player should witness factions fighting one another, pirates going after factional cargo ships, and involve themselves in station attacks helping allied NPCs fight off a mutual enemy.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Markon