Extreme high ping for all players when three players on same planet

Reaction score
    We have a group of players playing on a rented server that usually works great. However, if three players are all on the same planet, the ping for all players, not just those three, goes into the thousands which makes the game unplayable for everyone until one of them manages to get back away.

They've tried this on a couple different planets, and it's pretty reliably happening. Two players on a planet, no problem. Third player, even if just sitting around in astronaut mode, and the game goes to hell.

Is there something I can change on the server to fix this?

Unrelated: most of us also can't get anywhere near huge planets, but a few can, and then it's FPS drop, not ping /lag problems.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    That actually sounds like a server side issue. If the server can't handle larger planets then once 2-3 players are on a small one it'll behave like a big one. Your clients will keep up but the server will slow down and become unstable. It's normal to see a crash around that time. You should check in with your host. If you're on a 'budget' plan that cost less than 7 bucks american you might want to consider an upgrade. I notice those plans tend to have very little processing wiggle-room.

Reaction score
    That actually sounds like a server side issue. If the server can't handle larger planets then once 2-3 players are on a small one it'll behave like a big one. Your clients will keep up but the server will slow down and become unstable. It's normal to see a crash around that time. You should check in with your host. If you're on a 'budget' plan that cost less than 7 bucks american you might want to consider an upgrade. I notice those plans tend to have very little processing wiggle-room.
    It's a 20 player plan from Blue Fang - 1536Mb RAM. They've been great on a 7 Days to Die server, and again, we can have lots of players playing as long the three people in one faction don't all land on their home planet at once.

Which actually brings up another possibility.

The three of them were originally on a planet with an orbit that took it outside the system boundary at times. That sector would end up with lots of red box warnings about causing lag. Is it possible that the three of them somehow ended up with corrupt player profiles and that that is the problem rather than just three people on a planet?

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    You already said the other planets have similar lag issues. And I'd be hard pressed to find anyone using less than 2gb of ram for a server. A client can get away with as little as 512mb of ram if joining a server. In my experience; SP mode.. don't attempt it with any less than 2gb. The more users you have the more memory you need to load and manage the assets they are using. Especially physics.