Escape Pods or ejection mechanics.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I was playing a bit in single player while attempting to build a Star Furry from Babylon 5. anyway one thing the sci fi shows often have is the concept of an escape pod or ejection device in some of thier starship designs.

so this had me thinking, wouldnt it be really interesting to have something like that in starmade? I do understand such may already be possible to do with a dockiung module, but I've already tested this as well, and there are problems with this. Ill discuss that further later. for now im going to explain why this is necissary, say as in most cases with the game you build a spaceship with a fully enclosed and fully sealed interior, such was obviously planed to be what Schema wanted us to do. but this makes some problems to solve.

ok to really explain this concept, lets discuss a theoretical situation. say you built this ship and closed the cockpit around your ship core, I design alot of my ships so i can fly them from the core this is easy and alot cheaper than building several cockpit cameras all over the place.

But, here is where the problem starts, if you do this the pirates or other hostile NPC's of the game target this core, so if they destroy this without killing you in the process, you are forcably ejected from the core. not really a problem, except what if they managed to overheat the core without putting a hole in your hull big enouph for you to escape through? you are pretty much now trapped in a starship with a reactor about to go crytical, so what the hell do you do now?

I think the problem is pretty clear, and if you look at the logistics it makes sense that you will want to plan for this when building a ship.i did and i encountered a few problems in this as well. I tried to build an escape pod into my cockpit using a docking module, this required me to basically build a ship with two cores, in the terms of the game itself, it classifyes this as esentually two seporate ships.

This isn't that big of an issue really as I think what should happen would be that the pirates would even target my second core and not me right? I dont think it works this way, havent tried it but thats not the problem. the problem is when I try to join the two together, the cores all have a facing which is set as the froont of the ship, so when it docks this facing needs to be so that it will fly straight when attached with the other core, this is one of this aproaches problems. you cant set how the core will attach to the docking module, so you have to trial and error on how to make them line up. also you cant have anything obstructing the docking area so, if you want a detachable part of your ship you have to account for that in the escape pod. this makes several such ideas impractical or outrightt impossible.

so i think it mite be an intersting engineering chalenge on how to fix this so it can actually work. what do you guys thingk is it worth giving it a try?