Enemies get stronger further from spawn!

Reaction score
    What if instead of having the same pirates strewn about in random places, the game spawned these enemies based on how far away from spawn you are?

This idea implements a Threat level for the enemy spawning code and a list of ships for that code to choose from based on level.

-The levels go from 1-10. The ships that belong to each level are hardcoded into the game starting at level 1 (unmanned and unarmed drones), to flagships and titans that send chills into pilots of very powerful ships.

-The Threat level increases every sector away from spawn you travel, so 0,0,5 would give a spawn rate of 5 and -5,9,15 would give a spawn rate of 29. This affects what level of ship spawns and in what number, as well as how much shops stock and their price, deep space is threatening but has shops with more blocks at a cheaper price, to compensate for the size of ship the player needs to build.

Enemies deeper in or with a higher level also drop more valuable loot.

Once a sector has been completly cleared of all enemies it is considered "Clean" and allows player made shops and bases to be built in it. Waves still occour but no new enemies will spawn naturally.

Pirate stations also follow this level system, destroying one will also reduce the threat level by its level globally, a level 10 pirate base is a giant ball of computer controlled miniguns, defeating this will be a challenge but will grant great rewards.

So many new ships would take months to create alone, so don't you let the community help? Weekly challenges and flicks through the ships page can provide many fun and unique ships for the player to fight.

As far as implementation, community made ships can fill in the list and the dev team need to implement the spawning code for them.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Pirates at this stage in the alpha are just a nusiance, and the turrets in their stations, pathetic. I would certainly like a challenge. Also, if the pirates are harder the farther out they go, the less people will make their bases ten million sectors away from spawn, thus promoting a faction mindset.

Reaction score
    Maybe you should be able to download a ship and make that type of ship spawn at say level4 distances away from spawn if you get my meaning. So if you wanted to destroy your PC you could put a held tech damacols (I know wrong spelling) as a level 10 ship. (more like lvl 30)

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    But only as a default, this must be able to be messed with, such as certain sectors with better pirates, worse, etc.

Also, you should be able to edit how many of these spawn, and for exact sectors. It would make the universe a whole lot more interesting, especially for convoys.

Reaction score
    Hi,

I agree (sort of).

What I want is to leave pirates mostly how they are; and to add 2 new factions - one for aliens and one for human military forces. Initially \"y = 0\" would be the front line (alien territory for \"y < 0\" and human territory for \"y > 0\"), and humans and aliens would fight at the front line. Depending on who wins fights the front line would move in the appropriate direction. For example, if aliens kill a lot of human military ships then the front line would shift to \"y = 1\".

Players would (hopefully) help the human military to push the aliens back. Some players might be traitors and decide to help the aliens. Pirates would be on the human side of the war - e.g. given the choice between killing you and killing an alien, the pirates would try to kill the aliens first (and then kill you after). Traders would be neutral (they\'ll take anyone\'s credits).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    All great ideas, but I don\'t think we should have such restrictions. We just need more universe creation/population options, to create infinite number of universe solutions. This will make server more diverse, singleplayer mode adjustable to player liking, etc...

So we need to have as much universe variables as we can edit.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'d personally rather on world-creation settings for there to be an RTS-style \"number of factions\" \"hostility of that faction\" and \"power of that faction\" dropdown selection thing.

Then you could decide on world-creation how difficult you want the factions to be, with the high power, high hostility faction picking the ships with a numerically more powerful ship in your Catalog, while low hostility factions have lower damaging ships.

Of course, the way I see this working for balance is that each faction\'s base or space station exerts a field of depowerment that makes factions it has marked as hostile to it be slightly weaker within the sector of that space station, thus meaning that enemy factions effectively get harder the closer you get to their own territory, which can be handwaved as them having more resources/power to keep themselves at peak efficiency.

Preferably, I\'d have this \'field of depowerment\' extend across the entire game map, or at least be hella big, and have it staggered sector by sector, so enemies are weaker the closer they are to their foe: this would balance things a bit in multiplayer with factions and bases: the people rich enough to have a base are going to be the ones in power unless the invader is very tricky and sneaky or has a lot of dakka.

But that\'s just how I see it working, even though it\'s mildly offtopic to your proposal.