Enable missile collision with firing ship after leaving area

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    It makes no sense that missiles will fly through a ship after curving around and hitting it just because it's the one that fired them

Put a timer on them or something, jesus. There's no good reason why a missile shouldn't be able to collide with its firing ship after its left the area already.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Heat seeking missiles attack anyone friend, foe or netrual. Use with caution.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Okay, it feels like both previous posters have missed the point altogether, so I'll try to spell it out quite clearly:

Missiles are, like other weapons, unable to hit the ship which fired them (they simply pass through the blocks). That's all fine and dandy as far as firing them goes, but missiles are unique in that their trajectories can curve, sometimes significantly enough that they pass back through the vessel which fired them in the first place. OP posits (correctly, I believe) that missiles should, after some arbitrary limit (exiting the bounding box, perhaps) become able to interact with the ship that fired them; meaning that missiles which do end up on a collision course with their point of origin will actually impact that point.

Reaction score
    Having a safety range isn't a bad idea but could prevent point blank shots. Then again perhaps the missiles are simply out of phase of the ship that fired it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I figured that missiles smart enough to adjust their trajectory would also have an IFF circuit built into them. Although the ghosting of a missile straight through a ship does not make sense, it could alter its flight path not to hit its parent ship. This, too, could lead to some change in missile strategies...

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I figured that missiles smart enough to adjust their trajectory would also have an IFF circuit built into them. Although the ghosting of a missile straight through a ship does not make sense, it could alter its flight path not to hit its parent ship. This, too, could lead to some change in missile strategies...

I'm in full support of this.

I'm mostly irritated by missiles being able to hit targets that are *inside* the parent ship after leaving the ship

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I think everyone is missing the obvious point here, although heillos touched on it vaguely. The only anti-boarder defense you need is a swarm missile array and the entire team is toast.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    The way i see it working, is that missiles need to leave the ship bounding box before they start tracking, and at that point they can no longer pass through the ship that fired them. In the absence of actual guidance preventing them from hitting the mothership, I'm ok with the missile exploding on the mothership yet not doing damage to it.

The greatest frustration is swarmers in this regard, since when you have passengers, if they're wandering around in your ship, the swarmers will u turn and hunt them down to pull a Jack Nicholson.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    If they do implement this code change it would make "artillery" possible.

scenario:

-ship 1 is hiding behind a planet
    -ship 2 is approaching from other side
    -ship 1 acquires lock and fires missile from vertical pointing computer/missile tube setup
    -due to a trigger area block placed far above ship 1's center of mass the missile clears the planet then leaves the bounding box of ship 1 and turns from vertical to begin horizontal approach on ship 2

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yeah this makes sense, so long as smart missiles like nukes and guided missiles have some brains to try and avoid looping around and hitting the back of the ship that fired them (even though they may fail to do so for highly maneuverable fighters skin dancing on capital ship).

Reactions: Winterhome
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    I think a better idea for the swarmers vs. boarders is to have swarmers not target entities inside the boxdim of the launching ship.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    How would this improve fun?
    If you can pull off something like this, it sure would be fun!

Not to mention, there might be future updates (AI, fauna, demolition blocks, etc.) that create emergent behavior.

The game would still need to mark missiles as belonging to the source entity, because a lot of ships have missile turrets. It would suck to shoot down your own missiles before they had a chance to do anything.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If you can pull off something like this, it sure would be fun!

Not to mention, there might be future updates (AI, fauna, demolition blocks, etc.) that create emergent behavior.

The game would still need to mark missiles as belonging to the source entity, because a lot of ships have missile turrets. It would suck to shoot down your own missiles before they had a chance to do anything.
    Bring me proximity fuses, remote detonation of missiles and wire guided bombs and I'll hop on board. Making this change just because it annoys someone's sense of aesthetics is not a good enough reason. Besides i don't use missiles, I use guided plasma charges instead.:p

Reactions: jayman38

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I think everyone is missing the obvious point here, although heillos touched on it vaguely. The only anti-boarder defense you need is a swarm missile array and the entire team is toast.
    Luckily they have detection issues with adtronauts and go through them on servers :p (most of time at least)

But yea, sometimes I see my lock-ons orbit a target and come back at me. I always try to avoid then until I realize that they just go through. Could lead to some interesting gameplay with fighters looping missiles back at their firing ship.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Swarm missiles do not target their own (or docked) ships.

I think it'd be a ton of fun to screw over people who uses swarmers for anti-astronaut purposes by having them damage themselves.
    While that would be hilarious, it's not something that comes up in many single player modes.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    While that would be hilarious, it's not something that comes up in many single player modes.
    Who knows, we might get alien or pirate boarders in the future.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Bring me proximity fuses, remote detonation of missiles and wire guided bombs and I'll hop on board. Making this change just because it annoys someone's sense of aesthetics is not a good enough reason. Besides i don't use missiles, I use guided plasma charges instead.:p
    Sure, more detailed weapon control sounds fun too!