EMP Effect

Reaction score
    I set up some weapon tests. Ion cannons certainly seemed to do more damage to shields - about 4 times as much as a regular cannon shot, atleast at the small scale I tested.

But I could not get EMP to do anything. I hooked up a display module to the unit I was shooting at, and power remained the same. I was hitting it with 10 fast cannons backed up by 10 emp modules. (I had the exact same setup with ion)

Is this feature not working? What am I missing?

Reactions: aceface

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I set up some weapon tests. Ion cannons certainly seemed to do more damage to shields - about 4 times as much as a regular cannon shot, atleast at the small scale I tested.

But I could not get EMP to do anything. I hooked up a display module to the unit I was shooting at, and power remained the same. I was hitting it with 10 fast cannons backed up by 10 emp modules. (I had the exact same setup with ion)

Is this feature not working? What am I missing?
    Ion should do 2x damage, but maybe slave and effect count to the blocks which are counted to be multiplied with damage per block.
    Thus you have 2x damage * (master+effect block count) which is 4x master-block-count.

Last time I tested, you have to modify your config file to mke each EMP drain (wanted power loss / 5 dps from weapons).
    But it may also be per hit * per block which then have to be adjusted different to account for rapid-fire or burst combinations.

The system is not the best documentated and up-to-date commented one.

Reaction score
    I suppose it would make sense to compare a cannonbarrell+ion to 2 cannonbarrells instead of just one. So x2 or x4 depending on how you are counting it.

So I have to modify my config file to get EMP damage? That means I wont know how much it does on any particular server.

Reaction score
    Haven't messed with the configs.
    100% EMP gives efficiency boost not as strong as ion though. only damages power not shields or block. Given your small test block size its possible power regen exceeds your EMP power drain.

Reaction score
    Well the target was small to, just about 15 power units. I increased the EMP module count to about 20, and it made no difference.

Reaction score
    It is possible that EMP only works with unshielded targets. This is not intended and would be a bug.

Why don't you just charge power, then remove the generators? That way you can be certain.

Reactions: Lecic and Unnamed25
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I just found this and tested it with a ship made of just 3 power capacitors and a shield capacitor, which I charged before testing, then removed the chargers. I found that I couldn't get the power to drop, but when I tried it with the shield generator removed, the power dropped very quickly. Seems to me like EMP only works on unshielded targets, which is a shame. The dreadnought I'm building uses EMP turrets.

Reaction score
    just some things from tests I did:

- EMP replaces the damage to shields and blocks to direct damage to power.
    - EMP also double the damage (1:1 ratio).
    - Missiles, Damage Pulse and Cannons linked to EMP do nothing against shielded targets.
    - Damage Beam do damage to the power of a shielded target.
    - Both the EMP Effect, Power Drain and Power Supply weapons are useless because the way power reactors work in starmade, power reactor generate 25 power each, but when grouped they generate huge amounts, Power Drain Moduler drain 20 power each but they receive no bonus together.
    - The majority of ships regenerate its power supply in 10 seconds. draining or damaging their power should take a good portion of the total power to be effective, especially slow firing weapons.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    S : A power-drain block needs to drain at least 12 per block per second - a power negator (aka EMP) needs 25 per block per second.
    S : With the same diminishing returns curve as power generators, starting from 75 and 145.

Q :
    Why so low?
    A : A ship has most of the time 2x or 3x as many weapons as power modules.
    A : If that does not change, 1/2 blocks in drainers should suffice.
    D : My opinion may change when you can use it to board smaller ships only or peoples accept that you can beat a lot larger ship with the right equipment.

Statement, Question, Answer, Disclaimer, Feedback? :)

Reaction score
    - EMP also double the damage (1:1 ratio).
    Probable misconception detected. Support and effect modules count towards weapon damage, so for a fair comparison you would have to compare the damage of, for instance, 10 weapon modules with 5 weapon and 5 effect modules.

Reaction score
    I'll recheck the settings on this, whether it is set to work through sheilds or not

Reaction score
    Probable misconception detected. Support and effect modules count towards weapon damage, so for a fair comparison you would have to compare the damage of, for instance, 10 weapon modules with 5 weapon and 5 effect modules.
    You right... didn't noticed that.[DOUBLEPOST=1414695258,1414694840][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Yeah posting the correction again, effect modules increase the total damage per module used, but looking the total number of blocks in the weapon system they are just increasing the damage balance against a weapon only system...

my bad XD

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    yep i think emp needs to be buffed

- generally a ship has a lot more power regen than shield regen
    - this means the emp effect has to do more actual numbers than any other effect to do anything useful

Ciggofwar

Home of Titan Guard
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    EMP is rather useless in it's current state having to wait till the shield comes off, what good is it when the core will be punched out, by the next shot after the shield comes down no different than power drain, it should pass right through an unprotected shield not having an anti-EMP need's to be an AOE by power loss or power gain disruption of power flow for a time period of strength received.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    EMP is rather useless in it's current state having to wait till the shield comes off, what good is it when the core will be punched out, by the next shot after the shield comes down no different than power drain, it should pass right through an unprotected shield not having an anti-EMP need's to be an AOE by power loss or power gain disruption of power flow for a time period of strength received.
    what?