Efficient Crafting: Factory Logic

Reaction score
    e: That was weird, text was all blacked out until I edited it.

Anyway, I didn't see much discussion of factory logic, and given that I have started making a large logic linked factory, I thought I'd share a few things and see what others have come up with.

For those that haven't messed with logic much (like me), you can easily set up a very basic logic power factory by just linking activation modules with a factory for a specific component, and label the activation module with a display. You can easily toggle what you are producing and see what you have set on or off at a glance.

This is great for most things, but for armor there is a question of wedges and other shapes. Some times, you may not want to have wedges/ect active. You also may not want wedge active only for a specific part of a production chain: ei when making advanced armor, you want hull and std. armor blocks only, but you may want advanced armor wedges.

An easy way to implement this is with a toggle switch - I have two different toggles set up for each grade of armor - hull, std., and adv. - that can enable or disable either wedge production or production of all shapes respectively.

You can wire these up pretty simple with AND gates.

In the above schematic, G is the Grey Hull toggle, A is the Wedge toggle, and B is the All Shapes toggle. On the right side are Hull, Wedge, Tetra, Hepta, and Corner outputs from top to bottom. Note that the OR gate is not needed in game - this logic simulator only allows one connection per output. Starmade does not have this limitation.

In the schematic, both Grey Hull and Wedge Control are enabled, with the output activating the Block and Wedge factories for Grey Hull. Wedge Control and All Shapes do nothing unless a hull is toggled.

There are a bunch of different ways to do this!

Everything else is pretty much straight up activation block -> factory, with additional activation blocks used to make the wiring neater. I'll post some screenies when I get home.

Additional ideas I'll be trying tonight / expanding upon in later posts / asking for help with:

• Linking factory activation to lights and rail motion pistons and other doodads to make the factory feel alive
    • Linking all activation blocks to a master emergency stop button, complete with red flashy lights (we need a sound block for klaxons)
    • Resource availability display - this one is going to be tricky.. I have a couple of ideas but it seems that storage logic is bugged right now
    • Clean All function to empty unused mats out of all factories

• Resource check before production is started, with warning display and cancelation if out of resources - also hurt by storage logic bug, and very tedious to implement. Would be cool though

• Production run of materials for a drone or specific ship

Last edited:

TheOmega

The reason Deb needs meds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I have 20 words to say about this. Wow. You say that isn't 20? All of them are wow. Happy?

Reaction score
    Ugh, I just had an idea but it will be very tedious to implement - resource checking. A storage devoted to each capsule. When you run out, it will trigger a warning light on an info panel

Reaction score
    Figured out how to wire up a resource checking board, and error checking on each production line.

Use a separate storage for each capsule type with an OR gate next to each one. Link the OR gate with a NOT gate. Link the NOT gate to a red light, and the OR gate to a green light, both next to a labeled display module. This is your resource check, so you can see at a glance which capsule you are out of.

Production line error checking is pretty simple as well. You use the OR gates next to the appropriate main storage to deactivate production chains when the right resource is not available. Just make sure you don't have capsule storage set to pull excess resources from the factories themselves. Otherwise, you may end up with a situation where you have like 1 sertise capsule, and the resource board won't display that you are out of sertise even if you effectively are.