Economy suggestion

Reaction score
    These kinds of posts are hard to make. It's easy to get ones head up ones ass with too much detail, and lose the core of the gameplay suggestion so I've rewritten this thing three times now. Here's my final attempt.

Essentially this:

Production
    "Planets and mines produce raw materials that are shipped via npc cargo ships to refineries (stations), which are in turn shipped to low tech and high tech factories"
    "low tech factories produce durable goods, high tech factories produce luxuries.
    "Green planets are agricultural and produce food. All stations and non-green planets buy food"
    "nongreen planets produce ore and crystals."

Consumption
    "planets buy durable goods and luxuries"
    "stations and mining planets buy food"

The intent here is to produce a backdrop of shipping and industry. Planets would have ships coming and going, as would stations. These ships would be the agents in the model economy, and would really be tokens of transactions in the econ.

I don't think it's necessary to model specific resources. It's enough to say "raw resources", if you absolutely must you could also do "tech, mineral, organic" - but I wouldn't go crazy with named resources.

While it's outside the scope of this particular suggestion, my vision would be that one or more 'systems' would be held by factions the same way that players hold systems. I'm going to write up a faction AI suggestion immediately after this to explain that.