Dynamic Systems to Reward Different Play Styles

Reaction score
    Pre Face: I write these in a methodology I use for systems design, if you find it hard to read let me know and I will be happy to clarify.
    • Req* = Requirement, a general description on the program's end result functions.
    • AC* = Acceptance Criteria, more descriptive breakdown of functions within the Req.
    • ER = Breakdown within an AC from the users view
    • User Story = Descriptions of how functions should act to meet ER's, from a users view.
    • CS* = Condition of satisfaction, conditions that must be met to fulfill the User Story
    I try to keep these as small and concise as I can, this alleviates generalization issues and confusion. I have found that it is ineffective to make multiple threads discussing the same topic, but different facets, so I will try to create one document broken up into these groups.

If you notice anything I may be missing feel free to post a reply as I am fairly active here.

(Req 1.0-0) A server admin will have the ability to encourage multiple roles of their player base through a structured configuration of the server's sectors/systems

(AC 1.0-0-A) A server admin will have the ability to configure Faction controlled system bonuses.

(1.0-0-A ER 1) As a Server Admin I would like the ability to configure the bonuses for Faction Controlled sectors to include, Mining bonus, Shop Tax, Turret AI and Faction AI support.

(1.0-0-A User Story 1-A) As a server admin I would like to configure a Mining Bonus to a Faction when they take control of a system.

1. Admin accesses server config settings
    2. Admin Locates "Faction_Mining_Bonus" string
    3. Admin enters desired value (1-20 Higher the number, the greater the multiplier)
    CS:
    • When a User claims a system for their faction the appropriately configured multiplier is added to that factions mining bonus
    • Only applies to controlling faction within that system
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (1.0-0-A User Story 1-B) As a server admin I would like to configure a Shop Tax Bonus to a Faction when they take control of a system.
    2. Admin Locates "Faction_Shop_Bonus" String
    3. Admin enters desired value (1-25 Higher the number, the more percentage other factions have to pay to use that shop)
    CS:
    • When a User claims a system for their faction the appropriately configured tax percentage is charged to others factions using shops in that system.
    • Tax proceeds are stored at each shop and can be picked up by the controlling factions users
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (1.0-0-A User Story 1-C) As a server admin I would like to configure a Turret AI Bonus to a Faction when they take control of a system.
    2. Admin Locates "Faction_Turret_AI_Bonus" String
    3. Admin enters desired value (1-5 Higher the number, the more accurate the AI becomes for the controlling factions turrets. Can be based on the already instantiated AI difficulties)
    CS:

• When a User claims a system for their faction the appropriately configured Turret AI modifier is applied to their factioned ships in that system.
    • When a User leaves that system the bonus is removed
    (1.0-0-A User Story 1-D) As a server admin I would like to configure a Faction AI Support Bonus to a Faction when they take control of a system.

2. Admin Locates "Faction_AI_Bonus" string
    3. Admin enters desired value (0-1 true or False, if true Factioned AI ships will assist their factions players and stations if under attack)
    4. Faction blocks have the ability to mark their location to friendly AI's When a Faction controls a system
    5. Bobby AI Module has a new function "support"
    CS:
    • When a User claims a system for their faction the Faction support functions become enabled within that system.
    • If a User comes under attack in their factions system, any available AI ships of that faction with the "support" function enabled will come to assist

I know it's a lot, but if you made it this far thanks for reading!

The over all driving force behind this is to give Admins more freedom in encouraging the differing play styles of their players.

As it stands ATM having only a mining bonus offers no real need to engage another faction over resources, you just go to another system and take it. Hopefully a system like this will allow more strategic value in claiming systems for your faction.

If you're thinking, why won't people just move away from another faction and stay in their own area?

Well that is what the next two AC's are for, these take a bit of time to put together so I'll release them in increments until the entire requirement is captured.

With that said, I would appreciate any feedback, suggestions, or ideas you may have been fiddling with relating to this requirement.

I also know Dev feed back is something everyone wants, but it would be super helpful to know if I'm barking up the wrong tree, which happened on my last few posts. Seeing that the UI is in the works of getting an over haul.

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    Maybe an increase to damage for the faction near their base? It could make trying to attack a faction base a bigger deal where people have to work together to attack.
    I think this is a great idea. Maybe tone down the multipliers into an extra % bonus instead of an integer (may be op getting 10x ore).
    Also it should probably be based on faction points, otherwise a random player can just abuse the bonuses in an abandoned area.

Reaction score
    Maybe an increase to damage for the faction near their base? It could make trying to attack a faction base a bigger deal where people have to work together to attack.
    I think this is a great idea. Maybe tone down the multipliers into an extra % bonus instead of an integer (may be op getting 10x ore).
    Also it should probably be based on faction points, otherwise a random player can just abuse the bonuses in an abandoned area.
    I agree with you on toning down the numbers, I just threw in a random range. Some Admins might want bigger buffs some might want smaller.

I think the default bonus for mining is 12 or 16 already though.

I like the faction point Idea, I'd cover that in it's own post. this one is more about functionality an admin can tweek on his server to encourage some competitive play. I've seen a few servers get very stagnant recently.