Dynamic lights and shadows?

Reaction score
    I know it's early days, and probably too soon to be suggesting aesthetic things but still.

I think the way the game looks would be immensely improved if the only light source was actually the sun rather than some infinitely distant cosmic lightbulb. Place a light at the center of the sun that projects near pitch-black ray-traced shadows across every object within range of the sun (as I understand that the definition of 'sun' depends on what solar system you're in).

Day/night cycles will become natural looking rather than having the surface become suddenly slightly darker for a few minutes.

Stealth without cloaking can become viable in certain circumstances since ships will be almost invisible when viewed from a side that isn't lit by the sun. Lights on the exterior of your ship will have a use similar to the lights on aircraft. Keep them on to let people see you. Turn them off to hide in the shadows.

Lunar and Solar eclipses on planets, or even eclipses from kilometer-long titans hovering above the world.

Regular Plex lights would work as they do now.

Total darkness in deep space? Pirate ambush territory perhaps?

I think this idea would add something small to the gameplay, but something wonderful to the atmosphere of the game. Thoughts?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Actually, dynamic light and shadows are sort of already implemented in a much more performance-friendly fashion.

Their only issue is that they still need a LOT of tweaking and polishing.

Reaction score
    Not from the sun, though. Plex lights create shadows, sure, but I\'m saying that the sun should be a legitimate light source, not just a bright glow.