Docking Woes, My Docking Space is Big Enough!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I swear, thats what she said. I cannot for the life of me figure out why it won't dock! The docking area is large enough, it is not obstructed, but I get Invalid Docking message everytime I dock.

Help.

I even set the Ship inside the box for reference, and went into station build mode so Docking area would appear.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\"ve found that the beam has to hit the block just right, and the graphic isn\'t always accurate in where the actual \"beam\" is. I have a giant ship, the way I do it is the point the ship down towards the block from above to get to get the most surface area exposed, then move forwards and backwards constantly adjusting the beam. Also try firing a weapon a few times before initializing docking.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have the same problem, my docking area is three times larger than my ship but even when the beam hits the moduel I get \'docking area is too small\'. This needs to be adressed soon

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have found the docking issues so frequent I have actually made a video giving some solutions which I will upload onto Youtube later today.

There is 3 issues I keep finding plus the error messages seem to be broken.

Zeveryn

The Devious Traitor
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Not sure if im right, sometimes when you built all around your core it says Docking area blocked, means that you can no longer dock the ship if the ship core is built into the ship.

Reaction score
    Yesterday i was trying to dock my ship for 6h. I had the exact same problem. I think it would help alot to \'know\' which way the ship is going to attach on the docking module so we can expand the area towards the proper direction. Something like the X,Y,Z see through blocks that allows us to \'clone\' block placements.

I dont know...if while docking the game engine knows the shape of our ship, in case it doesnt fit perfectly to show a \'ghost\' layout of the ship docked on the module so we can see which way we need to expand. Like saying \"hey...this is the way i want it...facing towards that direction...expand the Z axis more. etc.....

Also a visible number of X,Y,Z values of needed expansion blocks would be nice. X:10blocks, z:20blocks etc.

Cause right now its a pain in the ..... .I came that close in stopping playing this game yesterday cause of it.

Reaction score
    But you do know what direction ships will dock. You can for example make small 3 block ship docked in the platform, before building it to certain direction.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ve been having trouble docking as well...I know the setup is fine, because I successfully docked last night and have made zero changes to ship and docking location.

I have a docking module set up on a planet surface, with enhancers to increase docking area size. Nothing blocking. Worked like a charm last night....but I think I just got lucky with the docking beam aim, because now I\'ve tried it for about an hour, and the docking beam and docking module just don\'t seem to want to connect. Fine tuning is needed!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    there is a bug that if you leave a turret or ship docked over a game restart, you won\'t be able to redock it until you restart again

Reaction score
    Turrets do not have to have an \'exposed\' core on the bottom. they have one block of \'leeway\' so that you can place things like armor in a single layer under the core.

I tend to use this for diagonal plates to make a sort of \'ball bearing\' for my turret. That way it looks like it is actually attached to the ship rather than floating a square above it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    1. Faction module doesn\'t match the dock.

2. Your ship is trying to dock sideways, try rotating the dock 90 degrees or make the dock square. You can also build a smaller ship to see which direction the ship wants to dock.

3. Docking beam isn\'t hitting the docking module. Fly backwards a little bit if your beam is invisible and fly in slowly to aim.

4. You are chain docking. Undock any turrets/ships before attempting to dock.

I have never had a dock that I wasn\'t able to fix, these 4 mistakes are almost always the problem.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sometimes you may need to overcompensate in a direction that doesn\'t make sense. Judging by your picture, even though the ship can fit inside verticaly, you may need to make the box taller for whatever reason. But this is only when you see the grid telling you that the docking area is not big enough. If you see no grid it means you may have to restart or fly to another sector and come back to fix the docking beam. Most of the time for me the docking beam is invisible and aiming in completely different directions.