Docking Guidance Block <Idea>

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    How does this idea sound to others?

Reasoning for this block:

There have been times when docking ships into snug locations has been annoying/difficult such as behind plex doors. At other times it is difficult or near impossible to target a docking location to dock a larger vessel (150x150x150 etc vessels). I wanted to try and find a way to allow them to dock without it being a headache.

What this block would do:

This block will attach to either a docking block or a turret docking block. When a ship enters within the bounding box of the docking limits and reduces speed to 0.0, the ship will be triggered to attempt to dock at the docking block or turret docking block. If a ship undocks from a docking port with this block, it will not try to redock with any ship for ten seconds.

Limits of this block:

This block only works on factioned ships and will not try to dock ships of different factions.

Reaction score
    Great idea! Its always a pain to target that little block with a large ship inside of a small hangar where the ship cant pitch and yaw without crashing into the walls.

+1 on this.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Docking guidance block when I first clicked on it seemed like some kind of navigation aid, or something to target other than the docking block itself. This idea seems better except I see some annoyance coming from being redocked if you linger more than the timer on the auto-dock. I guess that would be fairly rare if the timer was long enough.

Another idea could be a separate target that could be placed well away from the actual docking block, in a position easy to aim at for larger ships, when fired at with the docking laser it would dock you to the docking block. This has the benifit of being player controlled, only a player intending to dock will. But it would be harder to set up, you might need something akin to a noob tower to get it in the right spot for easy aiming.

Reaction score
    Only just posted this idea a few minutes ago, glad to see people have the same idea too. The more people who ask for it the more likley it is to be added. I hate having my ships glitch like crazy through plexdoors.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I looked and even asked on chat, noone noticed a similar topic. Can you link your\'s?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think I have found a good solution to docking when not intended, how does this sound to you?

If the block is placed onto the ship, rather than the docking array it will and a [Guided Docking] option. This option is a toggling feature that does not cost energy. When this option is turned off, the ship will not dock automatically. When this option is activated it will send a docking request to the closest docking unit within half the vessel\'s dimentions. For optimal use the vessel should hover over the location they would prefer to dock.