Docked Space Station Parts

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Has anybody made a space station with docked parts? I kinda want to make a wheel and spoke pattern space station. I've thought about doing this by docking segments of the ring to each other. This way my ship docks are face radially outward instead of confined to Starmade's grid. Has anybody done this?
    I feel like it would work but there might be sever lag issues and problems with sections becoming undocked.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    My Babel 6 space station was partially modeled after the Babylon 5 universe. I didn't get very far, but it's got a rotating inner-wall docking area toward the front, and several astronaut accessible docked sections, such as cafe's, 4-room hotels, and some other stuff, mostly connected with nearby teleporters for fast travel. (The teleporter rooms are also docked parts.)

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Problem is, your docked parts are classified as ships, so you won't be able to use any station specific blocks on it.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    My Mobile command system is an example of that. It is basically a large ship that docks around a station.

The "ship" in the left picture, is comprised of the main structure and a diagonal extension which sets the 4 pylons and the turret mounts to face at a 45 degree angle from the rest of the structure. Meanwhile, the station is comprised of a shipyard (yellow framework inside the docking bay) and the two flight decks on the 2nd and 3rd pictures.
    Outpost4.jpg Axis MCS 9.jpg Axis MCS 0.jpg Axis MCS 6.jpg Axis MCS 5.jpg Axis MCS 4.jpg

You could build a 2 part structure on 45 degree angles and put 4 segements on each to form an octagon. Use activation gates to create automatic gravity on each segment and you can build a ring world of sorts.

Reactions: DrTarDIS and BDLS
    Reaction score
    Has anybody made a space station with docked parts?
    Quite a few, actually. Some are not available for download off the 'dock, and some are closer to "art project" than "functional space-station", but they certainly exist/have existed

I kinda want to make a wheel and spoke pattern space station. I've thought about doing this by docking segments of the ring to each other. This way my ship docks are face radially outward instead of confined to Starmade's grid. Has anybody done this?
    That specific design? Dunno.
    It is probable that it has been done allready, if only because of how many people play/have played StarMade.
    I know the basic concept was used to make a "cylinder" for loading and unloading cargo containers. (and looked very much like the cylinder of a revolver)
    Should work decently for building a station.

Just, remember that any of the "Station only" blocks, can only be used on the non-docked parts of the station. (shipyard, warpgate, undeathinator)

I feel like it would work but there might be sever lag issues and problems with sections becoming undocked.
    Oh boy, could there ever be Lag issues should something un-dock.
    That right there is part of why the push to kill "internally docked reactors" was made. Every time one was damaged to the point of un-docking, the server it happened on nearly died. (and occasionally did die)

That said, it could indeed work.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Has anybody made a space station with docked parts? I kinda want to make a wheel and spoke pattern space station. I've thought about doing this by docking segments of the ring to each other. This way my ship docks are face radially outward instead of confined to Starmade's grid. Has anybody done this?
    Yup, done that, never quite finished it. I ended up making use of "stacked" turret-axis connections to get "below 45 degree" rotation, and overlapping the oddball angle sections that met with plexdoors(open till moved into place, closed once they are already clipping).
    pro/con: every section needed it's own area-trigger-fill(going into activation second time kills your gravity) tied to gravity for people to walk around the "outside" of the ring like a real ring-station would be. Even that is kinda glitch on gravity, and totally killed a lot of possible RP elements like doors or activation-blocks. Acted as an automatic "no weapons zone" to protect astros from handguns as a side-effect of the area-fill.

I suppose now-a-days the activation gates could do the auto-door functions and pressure-plates could serve others, while you could use green rail->basic rail conversion logic to do the clipping with "non door" blocks., but a floor and/or roof (walls of a "realistic" gravity ring) gravity is just easier with starmade. Probably the best option for the radial docks you're talking about.

I've helped with a modular "spawn station" to let players have a "faction room" for a recruiting office/dock, that's another benefit of docked/modular station pieces: more than one faction can control (parts of) it. You could in theory give multiple factions "reserved" docking points and/or areas that way, even if it's just control of a docking collar off the main rotator. Thinking a little more on it, you could have the docks at practically any angle using a turret rotator and clipping green-to-regular docks at an arbitrary point of a "main station" ring, then hollow out the main station's "wall" in that area to make the opening. It would certai9nly let you do more than the standard "6-faces-only(18 if you're crafty)" docking collars.
    Oh boy, could there ever be Lag issues should something un-dock.
    That right there is part of why the push to kill "internally docked reactors" was made. Every time one was damaged to the point of un-docking, the server it happened on nearly died. (and occasionally did die)
    Yeah, that "lag' was mainly because people didn't fill their docked reactor rooms with plexdoors and leave them "closed" to force it into "already clipping, ignore collisions and just kick it out." Noobs using advanced tools improperly.

Last edited: