Docked entities and performance...

Reaction score
    A friend of mine has been having an issue lately that appears to be caused solely by the amount of docked entities near him. A good example of this is a multi-entity docked power supply I designed. As the dimensions he requested were rather large (around 200L x 100W x 10H) I knew that no single docked generator could take advantage of the reactor bonuses. So I designed 10 of them that all docked to each other and then to a 11th center unit. The center unit, of course, docks to the ship itself. This "battery", for lack of a better word, causes the game to become near unplayable for him when spawned in. If I design this same exact battery, with the same exact type and number of blocks (minus the rail-dockers of course), as a single large unit....he has no problem whatsoever. A single titan class ship would cause him few issues...but 15 small fighters would regardless of the monstrous difference in block count.

The system he plays on is an i5 CPU (in the 2.5 range), 8 GB RAM (and yes I have the settings correct for memory...he is not having memory issues), and an Nvidia 360M GPU. All drivers are updated and he the latest version of 64bit Java.

Does anyone know what causes this issue or a work around that would alleviate it? A setting perhaps?

Thanks!

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Try to use rail speed controllers with one switched off activator for each docking rail. It seems the game tries to move all docked entities.

Reaction score
    Try to use rail speed controllers with one switched off activator for each docking rail. It seems the game tries to move all docked entities.
    Although that would work to a point on the battery example I gave (not perfectly...each module has a sliding access panel door), it will prove to be rather difficult on moving items such as turrets or moving rail entities. It seems rather odd that his system fails so fast with such a low number of entities