docked energy reactor question

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    so I have this docked energy reactor for extra energy located somewhere in my ship.
    it gives me a good bonus energy but 1 problem, if the rail/rail docker is shot, it will be undocked and it will ram my ship and make it move a lot, even rotate it sometimes.
    this is kind of a problem when I am in a battle trying to lock on to somebody.

anyone has a good solution to reduce the ramming when the reactor is undocked, or maybe totally stop it?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    so I have this docked energy reactor for extra energy located somewhere in my ship.
    it gives me a good bonus energy but 1 problem, if the rail/rail docker is shot, it will be undocked and it will ram my ship and make it move a lot, even rotate it sometimes.
    this is kind of a problem when I am in a battle trying to lock on to somebody.

anyone has a good solution to reduce the ramming when the reactor is undocked, or maybe totally stop it?
    Fit a chain of delays hooked up to several disintegrators which triggers when it becomes undocked (play with activators and rail dockers). Then when it undocks it blows up, should save collision lag, just fit enough so that there is nothing left. also means you then have a bomb on board the ship at all times but thats not really a problem... right? ;)

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Fit a chain of delays hooked up to several disintegrators which triggers when it becomes undocked (play with activators and rail dockers). Then when it undocks it blows up, should save collision lag, just fit enough so that there is nothing left. also means you then have a bomb on board the ship at all times but thats not really a problem... right? ;)
    well... that's about the only option I can think of, that's why I made the thread xD
    so, if my generator overheats, and it explodes it will most likely damage me, becuz they ignore shields.
    if the dock thingies break, it means I am already on 0% shields and it is sure that I will bleed when the warheads explode.
    also, my enemy is a big fan of using punch-through/piercing beams, making the change that they hit the warhead, or that they aim for the war head way bigger.

any other, cleaner idea.
    becuz this sounds like saying to electricity producers "just blow up the nuclear waste"
    [DOUBLEPOST=1437490339,1437490143][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Make a hoursing of empty space around it?
    Or just put it on the outside.
    most of my battles I move, that makes housing not such a good option
    putting it on the outside:
    A: could make my ship ugly
    B: easy target

thanks for the ideas though Megacrafter127 and iceman6491
    dun wanne sound unthankfull

Reactions: iceman6491

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    With this being my 1st time using docked reactors I have a system of rails that can move the reactors outside the hull and undock them. "Ejecting the cores" so to speak.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    With this being my 1st time using docked reactors I have a system of rails that can move the reactors outside the hull and undock them. "Ejecting the cores" so to speak.
    oh cool! you just use that when you have the vision that one of your reactors will be shot down? awesome!

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    oh cool! you just use that when you have the vision that one of your reactors will be shot down? awesome!
    Don't be a dick dude, he's just trying to help damn

tbh I think the self-destruct idea is the best option

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Docked reactors just arnt a very good idea because of this. They end up causing more problems than how useful they are, plus with the HP update your ship will be harder to destroy with that space filled in.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Don't be a dick dude, he's just trying to help damn

tbh I think the self-destruct idea is the best option
    xD it was just a joke otherwise it sound like this:
    and how am I supposed to know when I should drop a reactor

that sounds worse if you ask me, dun wane be a dick sorry :(

hmmm I might just got an idea, maybe push pulse activates once a reactor is undocked?
    can anyone see disadvantages to this?

Docked reactors just arnt a very good idea because of this. They end up causing more problems than how useful they are, plus with the HP update your ship will be harder to destroy with that space filled in.
    well, if you look at how effective they are, see it as this:
    your ship has 3m regeneration, 1m regeneration is easy to get because of the line thingy, but then you have to use giant blocks of generation to get the other 2m. or instead, you do the 1m regeneration on the ship, 2 docked ships that supply 1m. and you'll have way more space left for
    shields, power tank, weapons. because the line regeneration needs way less space, it is very effective to dock them to your ship.
    think about it. your exercise:
    build 2 ships (no weapons hulls or anything)
    1 ship with line regeneration to 1m
    and 1 ship with a huge block of regeneration to 1m

look at the amount of blocks used and see which ship is the best.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Doesn't power and shields only go one direction? Into the docked entities but not from them? So this really wouldn't do much I think but it is worth testing.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    well... that's about the only option I can think of, that's why I made the thread xD
    so, if my generator overheats, and it explodes it will most likely damage me, becuz they ignore shields.l
    Disintegrators/warheads only ignore the shields of the entity they are directly attached too, rest of your ship should be fine.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    best option save for auto-self nuke is to have a blast door and push-beams/pulse tied to the undock.
    second best option is constantly rotation 3rd tier power supplies external (yes a target, but they don't clip when they detach)
    (reactor) --> (rail**) ---> (main ship**external rails mounted to a rotator constantly rotating full speed inside hull) <---(rail**) <--(reactor)

Watch your balance or maneuvering gets...weird.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    best option save for auto-self nuke is to have a blast door and push-beams/pulse tied to the undock.
    second best option is constantly rotation 3rd tier power supplies external (yes a target, but they don't clip when they detach)
    (reactor) --> (rail**) ---> (main ship**external rails mounted to a rotator constantly rotating full speed inside hull) <---(rail**) <--(reactor)

Watch your balance or maneuvering gets...weird.
    your first option i do understand, though the locating and stuff will e a bit complicated if you want it too still work if it is blown off.
    the second though.... don't really get the picture of it, it sounds interesting did you build something like that yourself?
    if so, can you show me a picture?

Reaction score
    He's just saying an external reactor almost orbiting the ship. If you want, then you can construct an small, internal turret that only has the power cell attached very far behind it. Make the power cell target enemy ships, and BOOM! you have a power cell that hides behind you all of the time. Fairly low chance that it'll get hit as long as your ship is large enough. Admittedly, this would work better in 1v1 battles, although you should only really worry if you're having a megaship battle and they have vertically fired homing missiles or a large support squadron. It'll still have the shielding, so it should be fine.

Upvote if you like this idea! I certainly do! I'll probably use it too!

Reactions: AtraUnam

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    He's just saying an external reactor almost orbiting the ship. If you want, then you can construct an small, internal turret that only has the power cell attached very far behind it. Make the power cell target enemy ships, and BOOM! you have a power cell that hides behind you all of the time. Fairly low chance that it'll get hit as long as your ship is large enough. Admittedly, this would work better in 1v1 battles, although you should only really worry if you're having a megaship battle and they have vertically fired homing missiles or a large support squadron. It'll still have the shielding, so it should be fine.

Upvote if you like this idea! I certainly do! I'll probably use it too!
    I like this idea only in reverse and with a gigantic slab of armor instead of a reactor :P

Reaction score
    It's also useful for an astronaut-shield (repels astronauts with push-pulse until you have time to deal with them). If anyone would like me to advance on this, then I'll create a separate thread with a .smet file to mess with.