Do Forecefields Cause Lag?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Something that got said on server the other day that I hadn't heard.

That large force fields (as in the blue/yellow/red force field blocks in large continuous sheets) cause unusually high amounts of difficulty for the server.

Can anyone else confirm/deny if this is the case?

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    any sufficiently large array of animated blocks can cause issues with low-end graphics cards. Forcefeils can "render twice" and make it more apparents.

To check if YOUR graphics card doesn't like arrays of animation:
    -Build giant sheild wall (either, both are animated) until you notice FPS lag-fest.
    -build wall 1/2 that size 180 degrees from the sheild wall, add an "empty space" layer, build second 1/2 size wall, which you can "see" thought the 1st

to look for graphics lag, look for "tearing" as you wiggle your view around. with animated walls in view, and check for same on an "open sky" of some kind.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Your graphics card shouldn't affect the server, though. You can render starmade on a potato if you want; server don't care.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    If anything forcefields shouldn't cause any lag on servers (unless when you say lag you mean frames being dropped (why can't the terminology be used in the right way more often?!))

Reaction score
    It realistically should only lag the player not the server. Whoever said that might not be all that sure about how the whole system works.

Either way, forcefields are the laggiest block because they have animations and other effects. It ends up using more GPU power than a normal block.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    That large force fields (as in the blue/yellow/red force field blocks in large continuous sheets) cause unusually high amounts of difficulty for the server.
    Do you mean they take a long time when an unusually large array of them is opened/closed? If so, doors do the same, and I can confirm.
    Although I don't thick it lags the entire server.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If anything forcefields shouldn't cause any lag on servers (unless when you say lag you mean frames being dropped (why can't the terminology be used in the right way more often?!))
    No, I don't mean my FPS drop, I have a beast of a machine, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I was using force fields to box in a small drone shipyard, server hit heavy load, somebody blamed it on the force fields.

Which honestly sounds like BS to me, force fields, doors, or any other block should not cause server wide load or lag (not FPS drop, actual ping increase, lag).

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Do you mean they take a long time when an unusually large array of them is opened/closed? If so, doors do the same, and I can confirm.
    Although I don't thick it lags the entire server.
    What he's talking about sounds more like it might be the same issue as the one encountered with area triggers causing collision lag.