Disintegrators-Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?

Reaction score
    Ok so here's what's happening, I'm trying to make a self destruct system using disintegrators and logic using an activation block and a few delays. Everything seems to work but once the last delay activates the disintegrators there's an explosion and no damage to anything. Just a poof of an explosion effect and the ship as well as the disintegrator blocks are fine. I tested the disintegrator blocks on a ship and rammed it into an asteroid and there was an explosion which damaged the asteroid but no damage to the ship with the blocks on it. I even tested just a disentegrator block linked up with an activator block on a ship and there was the explosion effect when it went off but no damage to the ship.

So am I doing something wrong? Or do disentegrators just not damage the ship they're attached to? Off topic question as well but my sister was asking if you could make a self propelled ship using logic and thrusters to make the ship fly off into space and I just don't have the logic know how to even know if that's possible. I've tried to figure out the answer to both but frankly I'm coming up with nothing so I figured I might as well ask you folks.

Reaction score
    So am I doing something wrong? Or do disentegrators just not damage the ship they're attached to?
    I've heard of that before, but we don't seem to have this on the bug tracker (yet). Not sure if intended change or bug.

Off topic question as well but my sister was asking if you could make a self propelled ship using logic and thrusters to make the ship fly off into space
    Currently this is possible using the defensive push effect (hook it up to a logic clock). Note that the effect is subject to change and this will likely not be future-proof.

Reaction score
    I've heard of that before, but we don't seem to have this on the bug tracker (yet). Not sure if intended change or bug.

Currently this is possible using the defensive push effect (hook it up to a logic clock). Note that the effect is subject to change and this will likely not be future-proof.
    It'll be a bummer if it's an intended change, I was hoping to have an awesome way to get rid of decrepit ships and keep salvagers from getting anything if I have to bail out in an escape pod. If it isn't a bug and is intentional that makes a ship covered in disintegrators really over powered, since another ship shooting at them only destroyed the disintegrator that was hit by the shot. Make a ship of disintegrators with high shields and just start ramming people and you could cause some serious mayhem since it won't damage your ship.

And I'll be sure to try and figure out the push effect and play around with it. To be honest I completely forgot that there were defensive effects as well as offensive.[DOUBLEPOST=1415696258,1415696112][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Did you have god-mode on?
    Nope no god mode, I even had multiple people test it. I even ran a logic clock that just repeatedly sent a circuit to the disintegrators when I was outside the ship and they just had the explosion effect go off over and over forever without causing any damage. I tried to get anything to blow up with them for around two hours and couldn't get anything to explode other than another ship when I rammed it.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It'll be a bummer if it's an intended change, I was hoping to have an awesome way to get rid of decrepit ships and keep salvagers from getting anything if I have to bail out in an escape pod. If it isn't a bug and is intentional that makes a ship covered in disintegrators really over powered, since another ship shooting at them only destroyed the disintegrator that was hit by the shot. Make a ship of disintegrators with high shields and just start ramming people and you could cause some serious mayhem since it won't damage your ship.

And I'll be sure to try and figure out the push effect and play around with it. To be honest I completely forgot that there were defensive effects as well as offensive.[DOUBLEPOST=1415696258,1415696112][/DOUBLEPOST]

Nope no god mode, I even had multiple people test it. I even ran a logic clock that just repeatedly sent a circuit to the disintegrators when I was outside the ship and they just had the explosion effect go off over and over forever without causing any damage. I tried to get anything to blow up with them for around two hours and couldn't get anything to explode other than another ship when I rammed it.
    IDK, probably must be a bug then.

Reaction score
    I was able to make a self destruct a few versions back, but it was much weaker when set off by logic than when you hit something.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    It is definitely a bug I assure you.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It'll be a bummer if it's an intended change, I was hoping to have an awesome way to get rid of decrepit ships and keep salvagers from getting anything if I have to bail out in an escape pod.
    You could probably overheat the core (shoot it with your pistol), though it's not as dramatic.

Or maybe make your bomb a docked entity inside the ship. You'll probably have to undock it and turn on its timer directly. (Or make it self-propel into a wall using a pulse engine? But that might tend to slowly move the ship around while the bomb is docked.)

Probably not worthwhile except as a creative exercise, given that it is likely a bug. :D

Reaction score
    You could probably overheat the core (shoot it with your pistol), though it's not as dramatic.

Or maybe make your bomb a docked entity inside the ship. You'll probably have to undock it and turn on its timer directly. (Or make it self-propel into a wall using a pulse engine? But that might tend to slowly move the ship around while the bomb is docked.)

Probably not worthwhile except as a creative exercise, given that it is likely a bug. :D

I figure I'll wait to see what I can do when the bug is fixed if it is a bug at least, although playing around with pulse effects has been fun. On a repeating circuit it ends up acting as a thruster that takes barely any energy. And the best part is it just builds up speed every thrust until it hits the speed limit then it just keeps going. It works as a makeshift autopilot so far lol. Might even be able to make some form of covert missile using an unmanned ship, disintegrators, and a pulse effect. Aim it at a station in the distance and just let it fly in a straight line. Not very practical but fun to play with.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Did your ship have shields? Disintegrators work the same way a missles, if the ship has shields up they won't damage the ship but will instead damage the shields slightly. This also accounts for the disintegrators not blowing up as they count as part of the ship so their explosion will not effect them while your shields are up.

Reaction score
    Did your ship have shields? Disintegrators work the same way a missles, if the ship has shields up they won't damage the ship but will instead damage the shields slightly. This also accounts for the disintegrators not blowing up as they count as part of the ship so their explosion will not effect them while your shields are up.
    Even in my testing on just a hunk of an asteroid and on a disposal pod for getting rid of items they didn't do anything than give off an explosion effect and do no damage to either. There weren't any shields on either of those so shields weren't the issue. I'm not sure why they don't seem to be able to destroy anything. I said it somewhere up above but I even tried attaching them to an unshielded little ship and just covered it in disintegrators and rammed it into an asteroid, the asteroid had a hole blown in it and the disintegrator covered ship had no damage at all when that should have killed me.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    This makes me sad it was fun to play with i guess there is reason why you would not want uncontrolled ships propelling forward endlessly but i really like haveing the possibilities of doing stuff, this was kinda the first thing "out of the sandbox" of you have a block and this block does x. for it is an alternative to regular thrusting...
    Anyway i'd appreciate such stuff being left in the game just to give players stuff to toy around with :)

Reaction score
    Well after the new update disentegrators still look like they don't cause damage to anything other than what you ram them into. I still wanna say this is a bug rather than intentional but I'd expected it to be fixed in the update if it was.