Directional Thrusters

Reaction score
    Are Directional thrusters still planned? I have a long ship, but it so so slow turning, it's ridiculous. It takes over 5 minutes to turn 360 degrees. It is so slow it's no fun and I'm not sure what purpose this serves as fighters can outmaneuver it if it was turning at 3x this speed.

Reaction score
    The point of the thrusters being like that is so that your ship doesnt turn like a fighter no matter how many thrusters you have. If you want to make your ship turn faster you need to add more thrusters to your ship. This will make it faster and turn faster. They intentionally made it so that when you have a ton of thrusters like on a capitol ship or something it turns and moves faster but takes an extreme amount of power. This makes it more difficult to move a larger ship but thats to keep the balance of power. Im sorryif your ship turns slowly. I believe they may add directional thrusters in the future. It could also make docking easier.

Reaction score
    These new thrusters are annoying. It seems to be impossible to build a big ship which is able to turn anyways. My assault battlecruiser (400k blocks, 50k thrust, once highly manoeverable) is turning round about !5-10 times slower! than before which makes the ship almost useless for it\'s purpose.

How shall I command flank attacks with a ship that cannot turn?

PLEASE fix that!

Reaction score
    it isn\'t a bug, its to make it so that fighters can outmanuever bigger ships, making it more balanced to help your average fighter pilot

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This isn\'t good.

It just gives people another reason to build tiny little ships, and draws the focus away from building good ships, to focus all the benefits on the tiny pests that are called fighters.

Reaction score
    If you can get the pre-update setup, try to build a large ship and try to mix the power with thrusters and you will see it will not turn like a fighter. Even before the update, the power required is enormous even to get it to go forward and fire with decent amcs. If directional thrusters are added, it\'s still going to be slower than before based purely on the power weapons and thrusters plus additional directional thrusters.

@ Krosulhah:

Outmaneuver is an understatment. Big ships can not \"maneuver\" anymore. It\'s like a brick. Takes LITERALLY 2 minutes to turn 90 degrees. That is hardly required to allow fighters to outmaneuver something that is nearly stationary. Now instead, I\'ll just make gigantic turrets that will kill everything while moving sideways... This is so dumb...

Reaction score
    Finally this pest called \"feature\" kills my joy in flying big ships.

Today we flew an attack run against a base 50 kilometers away.

It took us !!!!!almost half an HOUR!!!! and 30 kilometers to get 6 capital ships in formation and we lost EVERY ship except my battlecruiser (which was heavily damaged) because we couldn\'t evade the enemy\'s turrets as we were used to before this patch.

So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, Schema, FIX THAT! (And please don\'t make me beg for it....)

EDIT: And BTW: please fix the Z-Axis rotation. It\'s a nightmare to use it.

Reaction score
    Hi,

Current game balance is completely borked. It\'s far too easy to get \"free credits\" (and free any blocks), so nobody really cares how much a large ship costs to build/buy. In addition there\'s no fuel costs and all ships cost 0 credits per hour to run, so nobody needs to care about a large ship\'s running costs either.

In the absence of sane disadvantages to large ships that actually make sense; Schema is trying to nerf large ships (to maintain the illusion of game balance where there is none) by using \"retard physics\" instead.

The laws of retard physics have nothing to do with real physics. Retard physics says that a small 10*10*10 \"borg cube\" with 10000 mass and no thrusters at all will turn really fast for no logical reason whatsoever; and a 200*200*200 \"stick ship\" with the same 1000 mass that has thrusters at the extremities turns like a turd for no logical reason whatsoever. Retard physics also says that a small ship with huge turrets should be able to cloak, jam and turn fast, despite the total mass (small ship plus huge turrets) being larger than a medium sized capital ship.

Note: I hope that once game balance is actually fixed, Schema will make physics more realistic (including adding directional thrusters).

Reaction score
    Hey what server do you play on, it sounds like you have some fun people you play with. I would like to join your server if it\'s okay.

Reaction score
    We\'re a german community server so if your german skills are too low, you\'ll probably have problems to participate.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    to use turrents and dont rely on your main cannons, since the nerf, big ships can\'t retreat that easyly so if you are out numbered by skrimest try and bring drones and turrents with you if you can. And big ship vs. big ship you have to stay there and fight, cause if you retreat, your gonna get destoryed. But if you are under heavy fire, try using ecape pods if you can.

Reaction score
    That was NOT the purpose, this beauty was made for.

http://t.co/UlkN9ULae5

Reaction score
    and all who agree well if your turents cant take a small fighter then he deserves to kill you and if your a moron and think turents are useless and dont use then then your dumer then i thought was pasable small ships outmunuver big ones cant thay let thare turents take out the small ships so make turents

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    In my opinion, small ships need to outmaneuver big ships. Big ships need to turn slowly... But not too slowly.

In my strange vision of a perfect balance, pilots of big ships won\'t be complaining about their poor turning speed because they won\'t be doing much turning. They will have tools specialized for large ships that play on their strengths, their large ammounts of mass they can throw around, their improved combat range, and their general statistical superiority.

I really want turning and zipping to be a tool for small ships, because it\'s one of the few tools that is so entangled with gameplay that it can by itself dictate the usefulness of certain mechanics, and in a universe of scaling and energy limits, small-ship systems will benefit more from being able to close the gap and keep on target than they could from anything else.

If you make big ships use the same tools as smaller ships (As they do now) then they are nothing but bigger small ships, and both the underequipped small ships and the overnerfed big ships are both trying to accomplish the same goals in the same way.

Big ships need their own unique tools that make playing them fun. I want them to feel like you\'re in a god of the battlefield, and as long as you keep your ship in order and fighter-cover at your back, nothing short of another titan could damage you.

EDIT: Let me point out current thruster/turning mechanics as well. Thrusters only affect your acceleration and top speed, not turning. Turning is based upon a combination of your mass and your dimensions, so having a more compact ship will give you a very small advantage in turning.