Deffence Effects Reworked

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    So I've been saying on a few threads the way effect modules used defensively should be changed. Currently they are all based on the mass of a ship but this seems to be a little counter intuitive. Defense systems should be based on what they affect and not the total size of your ship.

EMP:
    This will be a ratio of modules to Reactors/Power Tanks

Ion:
    Based on the number of shield capacitors on a ship, possibly rechargers as well.

Punch:
    I'm not sure if punch currently grants armor to unarmed blocks, if so then mass would be appropriate. If the this only reduces damage to already armored blocks than the number of armored blocks on a ship should determine how many modules you need (standard and advanced hull).

Peirce:
    Same as punch, I'm not sure of the extent of the protection...

Push/ Pull:
    These will be determined by size of your thruster (this effect also seems to need a lot of work, at least last time I tested it)

Stop:
    Anti gravity is something that would affect an entire ships mass therefore it would still need to be based on a percentage of mass.

OverDrive:
    Top speed increase will be based on the modules versus number of thrusters. Ships with low mass thrusters can reach higher speeds fairly easy but will be slow to accelerate. If you want the fastest ship that accelerates quickly more resources will have to be put into your engines.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Hmm. I get what youre saying but I think a percentage of mass is harder to reach than a ratio between the modules and the effected systems. People like to put down tons of shield blocks. Would that not benefit the Ion effect massively?

Reaction score
    So I've been saying on a few threads the way effect modules used defensively should be changed. Currently they are all based on the mass of a ship but this seems to be a little counter intuitive. Defense systems should be based on what they affect and not the total size of your ship.

EMP:
    This will be a ratio of modules to Reactors/Power Tanks

Ion:
    Based on the number of shield capacitors on a ship, possibly rechargers as well.

Punch:
    I'm not sure if punch currently grants armor to unarmed blocks, if so then mass would be appropriate. If the this only reduces damage to already armored blocks than the number of armored blocks on a ship should determine how many modules you need (standard and advanced hull).

Peirce:
    Same as punch, I'm not sure of the extent of the protection...

Push/ Pull:
    These will be determined by size of your thruster (this effect also seems to need a lot of work, at least last time I tested it)

Stop:
    Anti gravity is something that would affect an entire ships mass therefore it would still need to be based on a percentage of mass.

OverDrive:
    Top speed increase will be based on the modules versus number of thrusters. Ships with low mass thrusters can reach higher speeds fairly easy but will be slow to accelerate. If you want the fastest ship that accelerates quickly more resources will have to be put into your engines.

Push/Pull/Stop/Punch/Peirce are probably fine, the others I like though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Hmm. I get what youre saying but I think a percentage of mass is harder to reach than a ratio between the modules and the effected systems. People like to put down tons of shield blocks. Would that not benefit the Ion effect massively?
    On the contrary, more shield blocks means they need more ion blocks as well. The suggested ratio is ion:shield not ion/shield:mass

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Will you have 10 shield rechargers and 60% shield hardening or 20 shield rechargers and only 30% hardening?

With your suggested overdrive based on thrusters, few thrusters will reach higher speed more energy efficient but with lower acceleration, which seems balanced (to some extend, imagine a capital at 200% speed)

With Punch/Pierce I see the problem that it discourages from interior walls. It could be based on ship size or volume^(3/2) which is area (hull surface of a cube)

Push/Pull by the size of thrusters? Smaller thrusters, more push?

I think you should make some things more clear and post examples how it affects balance. Think about how it affects
    * doom-cubes vs regular designed vs RP
    * big vs small
    * big vs many small
    * balance in fleet-fights

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    It makes sense for pierce and punch to be based on surface area, so I suppose block count ^ 2/3 makes the most sense.

Also, change the effect ratios to 1/(1+ effect rate) so that way they can be uncapped in the code and left to the config without invincibility.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I think the current, mass based system is fine. Block count needs to be halved, I would think.