Deep Space Scanner: Expanding on the current Utilities

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    So we have scanners for ships... They seem to work fairly well and they seem balanced for being a ship utility (and are invaluable for removing jamming ships).
    So what about stations?
    I guess you COULD allow scanners to be placed on a station... but even then their range would make them not worth it...

So what I propose is a station-oriented radar/scanner system.
    This would come in 2 parts (like the current system, the current blocks could even be used, so they have different purposes on ships and stations) with the Controller Block and the scanner units.
    The range would be far greater than a ships scanner, and its range would be boosted dramatically if your faction owned the system.
    It would be very costly to build and the amount of blocks to get the maximum scan range would be quite large (It would be dependent on the size on the station, each individual scanner block would have a set power consumption thus using the scanner would require large amounts of energy and thus a large base)
    The maximum range would allow you to scan an ENTIRE STAR SYSTEM. After use, it would have a long cool down (10 minutes or more).
    This is so factions can keep track of whats happening within their home system.
    Bear in mind that owning a system gives a large boost to the max range, and if the faction didn't own the system it would only scan a 4x4 block around the stations sector.
    Therefore only controlled systems would give you full coverage (position of station in the system isn't important if you have achieved max range).

What do you guys think? Is this balanced? Would it be useful?
    It uses pre-existing mechanics so I dont think it would be tooo difficult to code.

Cheers and fly safe!!

Dire_Venom

Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I, uh, hate to break it to you and all, but scanners, when used in faction territory (that of your own faction, that is) already scan the whole system, as far as I know. The idea is interesting, but the scale is kinda wrong.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I, uh, hate to break it to you and all, but scanners, when used in faction territory (that of your own faction, that is) already scan the whole system, as far as I know. The idea is interesting, but the scale is kinda wrong.
    Really? Thanks for letting me know.
    The range in the scanner menu must be incorrect then.... it says a radius of a few sectors and systems are 16x16 sectors.
    Do you know where I can find some definate numbers for this? When testing it only seems to have a range of a few sectors.
    Thanks!

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Shameless self-bumpsies ^_^
    please don't bring bumbing to this community

I do like the idea of a better scanner or a station, sounds kinda logical.
    though I would rather have the possibility for auto-scan on a station, once every 30 seconds if an neutral/enemy is near, stops if nobody is near.
    kinda helps against stealth intruders.

Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Really? Thanks for letting me know.
    The range in the scanner menu must be incorrect then.... it says a radius of a few sectors and systems are 16x16 sectors.
    Do you know where I can find some definate numbers for this? When testing it only seems to have a range of a few sectors.
    Thanks!
    The range depends on what kind of territory you are in, and all variations are listed in a table here:
    https://starmadepedia.net/wiki/Scanner_Computer#Usage
    I'm fairly sure they are still up to date.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Theres already a sort-of feature already ingame........
    Ocassionly a faction notice will pop up if someones in your system, however it rarely seems accurate and more often than not its just ally members. Id just like to see a better version of this implemented so factions can easily keep an eye on their territory (I mean, you conquered it right?)

EDIT:
    Thanks for the link! so in enemy its 2 sectors, neutral its 4, and faction its 8.
    That still is only half the system though.....

Reaction score
    Thanks for the link! so in enemy its 2 sectors, neutral its 4, and faction its 8.
    That still is only half the system though.....
    Range=radius; system size=16x16x16 sectors. Math tells me that a range of 8 should scan an entire system's diameter worth of sectors, however I can't confirm or deny if that is actually how the scanner mechanic works.