Decoy blocks

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Disinformation has long been a part of combat engagements. The claoking and radar jamming devices are a reflection of this. I was thinking of other items that could be useful in this regard. Some would be applied to the ship they are mounted on, some would be another form of ECM.

An on ship decoy would be a block that looks like another block but is actually just effectively a painted hull block:
    A fake core to distract an opponent. They see a core exposed after a hit, but it's not the real core, it is a strategically placed fake. Blowing it to kingdom come won't kill the ship, but makes that spot look vulnerable, distracting the attacker from where the actual core is.
    Similar functions for a fake engine, fake power, fake cockpit, fake computer, fake weapon etc. If someoen wants to cripple a ship they will target specfic systems if they can, the decoy blocks have them attacking hull instead.

Off ship decoy examples:

Radar ghost projector: a modification of a missile battery, the missile is 'equipped' with an electronics suite that makes it appear to be a ship on radar. It has a range similar to normal missiles, an generally travels in a roughly straight line once fired. The unit needs time to charge from ship's power and can be stored charged, then has a high reload time. This object could serve multiple purposes
    A) a decoy to distract missiles that might rely on a radar based system that is not already locked on, or if it is fired directly toward such inbound missiles to attempt to fool them as the target changes course.
    B) to make a pursuer who is relying on radar tracking follow the wrong signal, allowing the firing vessel an attempt to escape or maneuver for better retaliating position.
    C) to make a target believe there are vessels approaching from the origin point. For example one 'decoy ship' (one with multiple decoy launchers on board and charged) approaches from the Z- axis, and fires five decoys and turns to run away, while 3 actual allies are approaching from further away from the Z+ axis, either driving the target toward the approaching vessels, or drawing the target away from a strategic objective.
    D) to make an approaching potentially hostile vessel believe the bulky vessel it is closing on is a carrier that is launching fighters.
    -- The Radar Decoy reload speed does not change despite number of blocks together, multiple blocks together represent larger radar signatures (1-2 would be small or large fighter size signatures, for example) larger numbers of blocks require more power to recharge, and may have a configurable recharge rate.

The size component really only matters depending how much difference there is in perceptible radar signatures.

Ghost ship Projector: Another modified missible battery, projects a semi-random vessel image depending on the size of the projector system. Like the radar decoy, it travels fairly straight, and serves the purpose of making it appear there is a vessel present, presumably radar jamming, since it has no radar signature. Since I believe AI looks for a visible craft (i.e. non-cloaked) instead of a radar signature, this type of device makes a good diversion for use against AI targets. Hits on the 'ghost ship' have a chance of damaging or destroying the ghost generating system, exposing the deception, since the smaller image is closer to the size of the missile, smaller ghosts are easier to destroy.

Using like sized ghost ship and radar ghost units, one could fire, for example 3 radar ghosts and 3 ghost ships in the small fighter category, to make it appear both visually and on radar that there are 3 small to medium sized fighters coming.

Reaction score
    You can already do this with docked \"ships.\" Just dock a bunch of core-only \"ships\" to the interior of your main ship on un-enhanced docking units, build shields and power around them, and make sure to name them something similar to your main ship. They will appear as diamonds on the enemy\'s screen just like the core, and serve as a distraction. As an added bonus, due to a bug in the current docking system, docked ships don\'t add to your main ship\'s mass and therefore can be used as recharging \"shield armor\" without hurting your turn rates or thrust ratio.

Bonus points if you equip your main ship with a radar jammer on top of it all, so that the only core in your ship that doesn\'t have a coresponding radar marker is the real core.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Good idea about the extra cores, I admit I\'m fairly new to the game, but these are the thoughts that went through my mind, and I appreciate any feedback.

Did you have any thoughts of the other decoys?

Part of my thoughts though, were that a decoy block, like a decoy core, or decoy shield, would be cost wise only slightly more than some measure of hull block. So they would be cheaper than building a genuine core or mini ship inside the main ship, but they wouldn\'t offer the porotective value of having the mini ship with actual shields.

An extra core + 2 power + 2 shields, would be A) tougher to break, but also B) much more expensive than a decoy core + 2 decoy power + decoy shields. Which would basically be 5 \'hull\' or maybe \'half mass hull\' blocks to minimize their impact on ship performance.

But mini-core ships are an interesting idea. What if you placed mini-core ships with shields and power (and that\'s it) and mostly surrounded your actual core with them? This would make it much harder to kill the actual core too. As the shield has to be breached, and it recharges when you\'re not hitting those shields.