Damage Control Block

Reaction score
    I have a specific suggestion for a "Damag Control" cpu. I have many years of experience maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing equipment and systems on ships and shore facilities in real life. I think this version of a "Damage Control" function would be workable and practical:

There would be a CPU block that one could enter like one enters the Ship's Core or a Cockpit. It would keep track of a given part of a ship that fits within a bounding box, shown much the same way as the boxes for docking areas and Turrets. It would have a certain maximum volume of blocks it can encompass to start with, and then one could add "Memory Module" blocks to increase this. Each CPU would be named, and thus name the area of the ship it tracks. It would allow the operator to take a snapshot of this area and interact with this area in a special build-mode accessed from the CPU block.

It would consume some small power per block. It would NOT automatically repair anything. Instead a player would enter it, similar to a ships core, and be in a special build mode. This special mode simply allows the player to view the area of the ship in the context of what blocks should be there. That is, blocks that are missing would be ghosted or wireframe, blocks that are wrong would be surrounded by yellow. One could remove incorrect blocks (one's that do not match the snapshot), and fix or replace missing blocks from thier own inventory.

This would match functionality that we know we already have and will have in the future for real facilities and ships. And it gives the player-owner and player-crew the ability to interact with and repair the ship/station in a way that mimics real life in a simulated context that fits the way Starmade already works.

Reaction score
    I quite like this idea...and it seems like it wouldn\'t be too difficult to implement.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    http://star-made.org/content/repair-modules-and-ghost-blocks

Personally I like this idea more because it utilizes the repair beam.

Reaction score
    That\'s a good idea too. I probably wouldn\'t have thought of mine if that one were already implemented. :)

Reaction score
    Instead of memory blocks, how about every time a block is removed by a weapon, it creats a \"ghost ship\" kind of ship that stores the blocks there, as if the block removing weapon was actually a block placer weapon that telportins the blocks it hits into a file. Then, as you suggested, yellow stuffs?