Credits for votes

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Hi,

I've made a simple php script I run once every 5 mins to reward players for voting on starmade-servers.com - I thought I'd share it with the community for those people also running servers wanting the same or similar functionality.

Link is here, feel free to use this for your own servers.

Update: Created a Git for this: https://github.com/mikesheen/StarMadeVoteRewards/

Mike

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    i don't know about this, seems a bit controversial to link game rewards to the site.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Hi lordWolfe,

I've been a long time opponent of votes contributing to rankings for listing sites, but that philosophy seems to be here to stay. The motive for me writing the code and sharing it was to level the playing field for as many servers as possible. Maybe this will make it easier to identify those unscrupulous server operators who use unfair means to boost their rankings through illegitimate votes.

I've always advocated using simply tenure, uptime and player occupancy as the measure of a server ranking, but the listing sites want page views so they'll always gravitate back towards mechanisms like voting to get more page views and thus more revenue.

There are pros and cons to voting on listing sites for rewards, but if voting is here to stay on such sites, why not let everyone have an equal opportunity to incent their players to vote, and increase their server listing rank ?

Mike

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    You sure are releasing a lot of plugins.