CONTEST: StarBall - the new exclusive sport of StarMade!

Would you play StarBall?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Alright people, I just had this idea. You all know what football is. No, not American football, the one the Yanks tend to call "soccer". How about we do that, in StarMade? We have everything for it.

What's needed for a game?

1. A pitch. Should be a reasonably large one (2000x1000x500 for example) , with 2 200x100 gates at each end. Sides should either be solid, or only the edges outlined.
    Optional: Logic-based scoreboard to keep and display score.

2. A ball. A single core, with a PlexLight at all 6 sides, and wedges/tetras making it round. Preferably white, for better visibility.

3. Players. 2 teams, up to 8 players each (5 players, 1 goalie, 2 backups) and a referee (with 2 sidekicks optionally). The ships can't be larger than 500 blocks, and must fit into a 20x20x20 box. No shields allowed, and the following weapons must be used:
    - 1 fast-firing (Cannon slave) Damage Beam or Cannon with 100% Stop effect
    - 1 Push Pulse, or 1 Damage Beam (no slave) with 100% Push effect, or 1 Cannon (no slave) with 100% Push effect.

No other weapons or weapon setups are allowed with the following exceptions:

The Goalkeepers and the Referee are allowed to install 1 fast-firing (Cannon slave) Damage Beam or Cannon with 100% Pull effect.

The Referee is allowed to install 1 lock-on (Missile-Beam) missile, to shoot a ball that leaves the field. The Ref is also allowed to spawn a new ball, in case that happens.
    OPTIONAL: Ref is allowed to carry 4 docking ports to store up to 4 additional balls in case he needs one fast.

Systems allowed:
    - One defensive effect system to protect from gravity effects.
    - One shield and one recharger block to make player hits visible to the referee.
    No overdrive or other effect systems allowed.

Rules:
    Very much like football.
    - In order to score, the ball must go through the gate of the opposing team. This can be done by shooting it in there using a push weapon or the player ship itself to ram it.
    - Player ships cannot have pull weapons, except the goalkeepers. They are also not allowed to build the ships in the shape of being able to scoop or "pick" the ball up by trapping it in the ship's hull.
    - After a goal, the goalie that suffered it, gets the ball.
    - If the ball leaves the pitch, the team that shot it outside loses it, and the other team gets the ball, starting from the approximate point of the ball's exit. If the ball would take too long to recover, the ref is allowed to destroy it and spawn another. If a player shoots the ball out of the pitch on the opposing team's end of the pitch (gate's side) the opposing goalie gets the ball. If a player shoots the ball outside the pitch on their on end, the opposing team proceeds with a corner shot.
    - Shooting an opponent's ship intentionally, is forbidden. The player that does this, receives a Yellow card and the ball goes to the opposing team. On second offense, the player receives a Red Card and is removed from the game.
    - Ramming an opponent's ship intentionally is treated the same way.
    - Shooting or ramming an attacking opponent within the 300 m vicinity of your gate (should be marked with connection beams) means a penalty shot for the opponent, which is made from in front of the gate at a distance of 300 meters.
    - Shooting or ramming the Referee or his assistants, or verbally insulting them, means an instant Red Card for the offender.
    - Matches last for 50 minutes, with 2x20 minute periods and a 10 minute half-time break.
    - If the score is equal at the end of normal game time, penalty shots decide the end score: each player of the team takes a shot at the eney gate from 300 meter distance. After both teams finished, the team with more scores wins. If the score is still equal, the process is repeated until it isn't.

Alright, this is the idea. I welcome any suggestions or submissions (pitch station, and player, goalie, referee ships)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    ideas like this are interesting, but pointless unless this game gets a huge increase in popularity and optimization

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think it might be technically doable, but it would be easier to use admin commands to spawn balls.

If a ball leaves the field not to the side but to a line behind one team's goal, shouldn't the keeper get it?

I think the most difficult part would be to get 16 players. You should re-do it for 5 players per team and will still have issues getting all together.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I said "up to 8 players" which means ofc it could be playable with smaller teams. Hell, even a 2v2 is doable. For example, no backups (those only jump in if someone DCs or crashes etc.) And yes, forgot that one, I'll add it, along with the corner shot. Thanks.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Remove the goalie. FIFA soccer has always had a significant problem with goalies making it next to impossible to score.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Remove the goalie. FIFA soccer has always had a significant problem with goalies making it next to impossible to score.
    Which is why I wanna make the gates big. 5 times the max size of the goalie vertically, ten times the max size of the goalie horizontally. Try hit a 3 block wide ball shot at you with max serverspeed (should be 100 km/h+) Good luck :P you'll have to rely on your teammates and hope for the best if it makes it past them. Nonetheless I'm glad some people finally pay attention. I'd like to bring this idea to the attention of the Mushroom Fleet guys, I might lack the creativity needed. That's why I called out to the community.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    2 vs 2 might be doable but 4 vs 4 will have plenty of lag/collisions and other weird physics stuff. I believe something like this has been done on the test server already and in larger numbers there was a very noticeable server lag.

Reaction score
    Asteroid football is much more fun, I still play it with area detection blocks.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    DOCKING BALL - No Collisions Required!

This is related to you game. It uses docking and pulsators to move the ball / catch the ball.

Designing Docking Ball

Re-introducing docking ball

match3 with Muzzled, Yelby and Raiben