Connection Optimisation

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I checked to see if there were any other threads on this, but I couldn't find any in the last few pages of suggestions.. So, here goes: StarMade needs some sort of refinement of how clients and multiplayer servers exchange information.

Right now, StarMar is WAY more bandwidth-intensive than other games like it, to the point of being nearly unplayable for those with slower DSL connections like myself and some friends with similar connections who play with me. I realise that players with better connections (IE, most players) will likely neither experience nor see the issue, but I for one would love to be able to play the game with friends without having to deal with constant connection issues interfering with our gameplay and I'd hope there are at least a few others out there that feel the same way.

As I understand it, the information sent to and from the server is uncompressed, and the game requires a lot of seemingly-arbitrary information to be received by the client to even begin displaying single blocks. Shouldn't the type, position, and orientation of blocks be simple enough to exchange, especially in space where there's not that much around? If nothing else, compressing that information would go a long way toward making the game more playable for players with low bandwidth.

I don't know a whole lot about the specifics of the game's workings, so I can't really refine the suggestion/request much beyond what I've already said. All I ask is for the game to be made a little bit more friendly to players with sub-optimal connections, however that may be done. Thank you for making the game, and (hopefully!) thank you for considering my suggestion!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    It\'s an understandable concern and I sympathize, but... It\'s a terribly pointless way of voicing it, Schema is doing the best he can, and if he made the game work one way, chances are he either can\'t make it a better way, or is already planning on doing so. Half the people who reply to this won\'t know what they are talking about and will agree, and the other half will just tell you to upgrade your internet. Suggestions related to core infrastructure from programming illiterate users is... not outstandingly constructive, and I see bad things in the future of this thread.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m sorry, but I\'m not sure how else to voice it. It\'s not an insult, it\'s a suggestion.

As for the topic\'s potential futility, it\'s entirely possible that it was never really a concern, and that\'s why I\'m posting this thread; a common trend on the Internet is for things to be designed with \"modern\" connection speeds in mind, often only unintentionally extending availability to users in less developed areas with general streamlining. I\'m just making sure that aspect is considered, in case it hasn\'t already been.