Concept for possible weapons revamp in not so near future.

Do you like these ideas?

• I like everything but not the Singularity Generator.

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • I don't like any of this.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    Concept for possible weapons revamp in not so near future.

First of all, I’m not saying that it should be done right now or even any time soon, I’m just saying that maybe it should be done someday, when all other major features are already in place.

Now here’s what I have in mind…
    (DPS – damage per second, ROF – rate of fire, DPH – damage per hit, RNG – effective range, PS – projectile speed)

Usual 3 main types of weapons (no shotguns):

- Railguns
    (4/5 DPS, 4/5 ROF, 3/5 DPH, 3/5 RNG, 4/5 PS)

- Heat Seeking Missiles
    (3/5 DPS, 1/5 ROF, 4/5 DPH, 4/5 RNG, 2/5 PS)

- Beams
    (3/5 DPS, 5/5 ROF, 1/5 DPH, size dependant RNG, instant PS)

And some usual combos:

- Missile + Railgun = Unguided Missile that becomes a contact mine when reaching its max range.
    (5/5 DPS, 2/5 ROF, 5/5 DPH, 3/5 RNG, 4/5 PS)

- Missile + Beam = Lock-on Energy Torpedo that can follow target forever, but self-destructs if the target is gone.
    (3/5 DPS, 1/5 ROF, 5/5 DPH, 5/5 RNG, 3/5 PS)

- Beam + Railgun = Pulse Beam that inflicts splash damage on pulses.
    (4/5 DPS, 4/5 ROF, 2/5 DPH, size dependant RNG, instant PS)

And also an optional combo of:

- Beam + Missile + Railgun = Singularity Generator that uses one special very expensive computer instead of 3 standard weapon computers. Maybe this computer cannot be bought or sold at all, only crafted. Weapon effects cannot be applied to a singularity. Beams, missiles & railguns must be in proportion of 1:1:1 exactly. Note that the minimum size of the weapon is 6x1x1 + 1 blocks, which is perfect for bombers.

(1/5 DPS, extremely slow ROF, extremely huge DPH, size dependant RNG, 1/5 PS)

When it hits, singularity instantly draws all shields and all energy of the target. If the target has no shields then singularity destroys everything in a sphere with a diameter equal to 2x the size of its launcher. Note that health of blocks or their armor doesn’t matter. Singularity doesn’t leave any loot behind; whatever was in a chest destroyed by it is gone forever.

Also if a ship that has a charged singularity launcher has no energy to power it then singularity detonates inside the launcher. Try and build 60x10x10 launcher (6000 diameter singularity, planet killer no less) and charge it then run out of power for some reason – it’s a bad idea to place it on your titan. And that’s why it’s very optional.

One additional weapon effect is also required for this concept:

- Rate of fire effect. In proportion to the weapon of 1:1 it doubles the rate of fire.

Note that weapon combos are counted as a single weapon, so ideal proportion of effect blocks to for example Missile + Beam will be this:

- 2 missile blocks + 2 beam blocks + 4 effect blocks.

Now I propose to stop using the autonomous weapon block mechanic that we are using now. Each weapon must be in a certain configuration to work. We already saw an example of this new mechanic in building shipyards. Now if that certain configuration is damaged then the weapon stops working entirely but it will repair itself eventually if it is still powered.

Next thing is that while beam block output side texture is good as it is, rockets and cannons will need more: 2x2, 3x3 etc. I guess it is possible to simply stretch the standard texture to the appropriate size (it will always be square in this concept). Or maybe it’s better to change textures to more fitting on 1x1, 2x2, 4x4, 8x8 etc. sizes. In fact that texture can be set when all the weapon blocks are connected to their computer and the size of the weapon is known instead of recalculating it each time a block is added.

Configurations (x/y/z) in which weapon blocks must be built are as follows:

- Railguns
    1/1/3-8 => 2/2/6-16 => 3/3/9-24 => 4/4/12-36 etc.
    The longer the barrel is the greater the speed of the projectile. Length of a barrel doesn’t affect damage or rate of fire. Maximum projectile speed is still limited so there’s no point in making a barrel longer than 8 for 1x1 caliber, 16 for 2x2 etc.

While using the same type of blocks, railgun actually has two internal systems: projectile chamber where a new bullet is replicated out of energy coming from the ship and a barrel that speeds up the bullet when it leaves the chamber. And while caliber of the weapon may be different and length of the barrel may vary, the proportions of the weapon stay the same: 1/1/3-8. It can be rotated, of course.

- Heat Seeking Missiles
    1/1/2 => 2/2/4 => 3/3/6 => 4/4/8 etc.

The missile launcher configuration is both a chamber where missile is replicated out of energy coming from the ship and a launch bay from which it is fired. Normal (heat seeking) missiles are fired right from the chamber when they are created, while combo missiles use more interesting system. Each launcher can fire only 1 missile at a time, although multiple launchers can be fired simultaneously.

- Normal Beams
    1/1-9/2 => 2/2-18/2 => 3/3-27/2 => 4/4-36/2 etc.
    Now beams are special because their Z is always 2 and their range depends on their Y. Maximum range is still limited so there’s no point in making their Y more than 9 for X=1, 18 for X=2 etc.

Beam weapon consists of two parts: focusing lens – the forward row of blocks, and particle generator – the rear row of blocks. The bigger the lens the bigger the particle generator must be because [technobabble] so proportions remain the same.

- Pulse Beams
    T-shape where “–“ are beam blocks and “I” are railgun blocks.
    Beam blocks: 1/1-9/2 => 2/2-18/2 => 3/3-27/2 => 4/4-36/2 etc.
    Railgun blocks: 1/1/2 => 2/2/4 => 3/3/6 => 4/4/8 etc.
    Pulse beams are special too because their Z is always 2 + Z of their cannons’ group and their range depends on their Y. Maximum range is still limited so there’s no point in making their Y more than 9 for X=1, 18 for X=2 etc.

Pulse beam weapon consists of four parts: focusing lens – the forward row of beam blocks, particle generator – the rear row of beam blocks, particle accelerator – forward part of railgun blocks, pulse particle generator – rear part of cannon blocks. The bigger the lens the bigger the three other parts must be because [technobabble] so proportions remain the same.

- Unguided Missile
    I-shape where forward part is railgun and rear part is missile.
    Railgun blocks: 1/1/2-8 => 2/2/4-16 => 3/3/6-24 => 4/4/8-32 etc.
    Missile blocks: 1/1/2 => 2/2/4 => 3/3/6 => 4/4/8 etc.
    The longer the barrel is the greater the speed of the projectile. Length of a barrel doesn’t affect damage or rate of fire. Maximum projectile speed is still limited so there’s no point in making a barrel longer than 8 for 1x1 caliber, 16 for 2x2 etc.

After it is generated in missile chamber missile is then shot from railgun barrel which greatly increase its speed and collision damage. Upon collision missile explodes just like any other missile would and deals even more damage. And if it doesn’t collide with anything then after it will reach its maximum range it will stop and turn into a mine that will stay there until something collide with it.

Note to self: never ever shoot it when moving directly forward on high speed.

- Lock-on Energy Torpedo
    I-shape where forward part is missile and rear part is beam.
    Missile blocks: 1/1/2 => 2/2/4 => 3/3/6 => 4/4/8 etc.
    Beam blocks: 1/1/1 => 2/2/2 => 3/3/3 => 4/4/4 etc.

The torpedo launcher consists of two parts: a launch bay from which it is fired and where the guiding system is replicated and a charging chamber where plasma-photon charge is generated. After it is created in a magnetic field plasma-photon charge then goes to the launcher, where it envelops the guiding system. This assembly is then shot from the launching bay and follows its target until it hits or the target is no more. From a distance this projectile looks like a shining ball of greenish blue light. Upon collision with a target the magnetic field is dismissed and plasma-photonic explosion occurs. Each launcher can fire only 1 torpedo at a time, although multiple launchers can be fired simultaneously.

And that’s that. ^_^

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Part of me loves the idea of a kind of endgame weapon, but I can't really imagine it in vanilla starmade. This sounds like amazing mod material though.

Reaction score
    If your looking for different weapons, i would personally like more to do with different possible designs for weapon types like a modifier and a color and a mineral block plus the base weapon type could give totally different effects not just more power and longer range, but i'm talking like effects based on light sound particles, and gui information, i'll give you an example.

Say you have a canon computer, red light(active) and red planet rock, the red planet stuff causes the now red cannon blasts to have a longer trail behind them, and travel slightly slower than a non mineral block weapon, but to get that effect you want, you must take this penalty of .02% speed. The overall dmg output of the weapon is not changed unless you have a different modifier.