Comr4de's Better Balance Mod

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Hello! Since the addition of the new weapons (dev build) I have noticed that they come across as rather... Lacking. So, I started working on an effort to rebalance them on my own.

With this mod I have some very specific goals in mind.
    1. Patch glaring balance issues as the game develops
    2. Open up combat to consist of more than just titans
    3. Give each weapon its own distinct feel
    4. Open up ship specialization
    My to-do list at this point is as follows
    • Fix shields basically done
    • Buff weapons to be less gimpy
    • Fix thrusters - see bottom of post
    • (Possibly) edit tertiary effect modules

Cannon base damage increased to 25 (was 15)
    Power consumption increased to 250 (was 150)
    Artillery cannon speed 25% more than basic
    Sniper cannon speed 75% more than basic
    shotgun cannon range decreased by 25%

Beam damage increased to 8 (was 5)
    Beam range increased to 650(was 500)
    Beam power consumption increased to 1250 (was 750 I think)

Hulk missile configuration is now lock-on missile - hulk missiles already have a speed nerf, it makes no sense that they should not have lock on. they're now at least sort of viable.
    Missile default radius increased to 15 (was 10)
    Cluster missile missile spawn halved; at 1:1 you get 10 missiles, I think this is fair. Might move to 15

Shield load halved
    Shield active regeneration power draw increased to 25 (was 10)
    Shield passive power draw increased to 12 (was 0)
    Under fire regen reduced to 15% (this might go back to 25%)

Power regeneration softcap increased by 500k
    Power tank load increased to 1250 (was 1000)

If ever I post about my logic and reasoning, it shall be here.

Right here is the formula for shield calc.
    ShieldExtraCapacityMultPerUnit>1</ShieldExtraCapacityMultPerUnit> <!-- totalUnitShieldRecharge = (unitSize*ShieldExtraRechargeMultPerUnit) -->
    <ShieldExtraRechargeMultPerUnit>1</ShieldExtraRechargeMultPerUnit> <!-- shieldCapacity = ((totalUnitShieldCapacity*ShieldCapacityPreMul)^ShieldCapacityPow)*ShieldCapacityTotalMul -->
    <ShieldCapacityPow>1.0</ShieldCapacityPow>
    <ShieldCapacityPreMul>1.0</ShieldCapacityPreMul>
    <ShieldCapacityTotalMul>495</ShieldCapacityTotalMul> <!-- shieldRecharge = ((totalUnitShieldRecharge*ShieldRechargePreMul)^ShieldRechargePow)*ShieldRechargeTotalMul -->
    <ShieldRechargePow>1.0</ShieldRechargePow>
    <ShieldRechargePreMul>1.0</ShieldRechargePreMul>
    <ShieldRechargeTotalMul>5.5</ShieldRechargeTotalMul>
    <ShieldRechargeCycleTime>1.0</ShieldRechargeCycleTime> <!-- time in secs between recharge cycles. This value is relative, so changing it won't affect the time a ship needs to fully recharge (e.g. twice as many cycles -> half as many reacharge per cycle)-->
    <ShieldRecoveryTimeAfterOutage>10</ShieldRecoveryTimeAfterOutage> <!-- time, the shield will not recharge after reaching 0 -->
    <ShieldDirectRecoveryTime>60</ShieldDirectRecoveryTime> <!-- this time is set to the value gives after each hit sustained. In direct recovery, <ShieldRecoveryMultPerPercent> is applied. Otherwise it's running on full recharge -->
    <ShieldRecoveryMultPerPercent>0.5</ShieldRecoveryMultPerPercent> <!-- in direct recovery, the shield recharge will be multiplied by (1-((shield/max)*thisValue)); -->
    <ShieldRecoveryMult>0.1</ShieldRecoveryMult> <!-- in direct recovery, the shield recharge will be multiplied: recharge = recharge*thisValue; -->
    <ShieldRechargePowerConsuption>10</ShieldRechargePowerConsuption> <!-- (when shield < 100%) per block / second -->
    <ShieldFullPowerConsuption>0</ShieldFullPowerConsuption> <!-- (when shield == 100%) per block / second -->

Most of the values are pretty self explanatory. If you pay attention, you will notice that shield power consumption when full is 0. You'll also notice that each shield block grants 495 capacity per block. This can build up VERY quickly. I made two very major yet small changes to this code.

ShieldExtraCapacityMultPerUnit>1</ShieldExtraCapacityMultPerUnit> <!-- totalUnitShieldRecharge = (unitSize*ShieldExtraRechargeMultPerUnit) -->
    <ShieldExtraRechargeMultPerUnit>1</ShieldExtraRechargeMultPerUnit> <!-- shieldCapacity = ((totalUnitShieldCapacity*ShieldCapacityPreMul)^ShieldCapacityPow)*ShieldCapacityTotalMul -->
    <ShieldCapacityPow>1.0</ShieldCapacityPow>
    <ShieldCapacityPreMul>1.0</ShieldCapacityPreMul>
    <ShieldCapacityTotalMul>250</ShieldCapacityTotalMul> <!-- shieldRecharge = ((totalUnitShieldRecharge*ShieldRechargePreMul)^ShieldRechargePow)*ShieldRechargeTotalMul -->
    <ShieldRechargePow>1.0</ShieldRechargePow>
    <ShieldRechargePreMul>1.0</ShieldRechargePreMul>
    <ShieldRechargeTotalMul>5.5</ShieldRechargeTotalMul>
    <ShieldRechargeCycleTime>1.0</ShieldRechargeCycleTime> <!-- time in secs between recharge cycles. This value is relative, so changing it won't affect the time a ship needs to fully recharge (e.g. twice as many cycles -> half as many reacharge per cycle)-->
    <ShieldRecoveryTimeAfterOutage>10</ShieldRecoveryTimeAfterOutage> <!-- time, the shield will not recharge after reaching 0 -->
    <ShieldDirectRecoveryTime>60</ShieldDirectRecoveryTime> <!-- this time is set to the value gives after each hit sustained. In direct recovery, <ShieldRecoveryMultPerPercent> is applied. Otherwise it's running on full recharge -->
    <ShieldRecoveryMultPerPercent>0.5</ShieldRecoveryMultPerPercent> <!-- in direct recovery, the shield recharge will be multiplied by (1-((shield/max)*thisValue)); -->
    <ShieldRecoveryMult>0.1</ShieldRecoveryMult> <!-- in direct recovery, the shield recharge will be multiplied: recharge = recharge*thisValue; -->
    <ShieldRechargePowerConsuption>15</ShieldRechargePowerConsuption> <!-- (when shield < 100%) per block / second -->
    <ShieldFullPowerConsuption>5</ShieldFullPowerConsuption> <!-- (when shield == 100%) per block / second -->

Shields now consume 50% more power when charging, and 1/3 of that when full. On top of that, I slashed the default load in half. This makes it so that shields are not a mindless addition to a ship's system; you still have to power those suckers. It also makes them less undeadable.

Here's the thruster code.
    <PowPerThrustCollection>1.05</PowPerThrustCollection> <!-- velocities in this config are based on the assumption of 100 being the server max speed -->
    <UnitCalcStyle>LINEAR</UnitCalcStyle> <!-- LINEAR, BOX_DIM_MULT, BOX_DIM_ADD -->
    <UnitCalcMult>1</UnitCalcMult> <!-- multiplied with result of UnitCalcStyle -->
    As you can see, I don't have as much of an option here. I'd love to be able to actually use a formula for this that would eventually have thrust reach a soft cap at some point.

Scientifically and balance wise, there is basis for this change. The closer you approach the speed of light , the more force must be used. There will reach a point where it is physically impossible to pass the speed of light.

BUT COM, HOW IS THIS RELATED? shut the FUCK UP GOD DAMNIT

this also applies for greater object mass. If there was a way to curve the thrust differential of a ship based on its mass, that would be perfect. Eventually there would reach a point where adding more thrust blocks would simply not be worth it. So, there's not much I can do with that right now.

Since I'm here I'd like to say that weapons feel pretty gimpy. It may also be a case of weapons being 2week and shields being 2stronk.
    Any suggestions are welcome here. I intend to release this by monday. when its ready to be released

Last edited:
    Reactions: Doomsider
    Reaction score
    Defensive effects like Push/Pull/Stop are totally useless (see here). I suggest increasing the force applied by Push/Pull greatly, and making Stop Modules at least 100x more effective.

Reactions: Comr4de
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Defensive effects like Push/Pull/Stop are totally useless (see here). I suggest increasing the force applied by Push/Pull greatly, and making Stop Modules at least 100x more effective.
    I'm not quite sure how to (as in, what to do with them) edit the effect modules. I'm getting Planr to help me out with this because I think he's had more experience with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: Planr
    Reaction score
    I think if you could somehow add a grouping effect to hull, that would be great. For example, if it's thicker, cannons do more damage, and if it has a larger area, missiles do less damage.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I think if you could somehow add a grouping effect to hull, that would be great. For example, if it's thicker, cannons do more damage, and if it has a larger area, missiles do less damage.

I'm not sure that's possible with the game right now.

Edit: I'm just messing with the weapons/shields balance right now for the most part. I'm going to change how thrust works in a bit as well.

Reaction score
    Awesome Comrade!

Glad to see players embracing the options to customize the config! We've been adding more controls to allow even finer control of game mechanics, like new settings for shields, beams (added 3 new mechanics here, major improvement), linear/boxdim scaling, another new effect block (look into Overdrive.) There will be more changes over time to further improve the options and gameplay as well.

As noted above, the defense effects in general are not balanced, particularly the movement ones, I had left these unchanged so far since i needed thrust on a linear growth/power usage before i felt it viable to try to balance these effects with what you can acheive through thrust blocks. This option was added in this morning by schema in patch 0.154, so in the next few days I'll try to set aside some extra time to get the balance default for these to a much more acceptable state, though in the end, your welcome to customize them as you like :D .

I'll also try to start adding more notations on the config explaining what each line does and how it interacts with the code (not always easy as i dont know the code myself.)

*Edit - The cannons default speed was increased to 4x server speed several patchs back :P

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Calbiri how about the issue with slavelinked AMC bullets moving way slower than unslavelinked AMCs?

Reaction score
    Calbiri how about the issue with slavelinked AMC bullets moving way slower than unslavelinked AMCs?
    I haven't been following that one on the bug tracker sorry.
    (I also havent experienced this bug in my play, so i can't test it :( )

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I haven't been following that one on the bug tracker sorry.
    (I also havent experienced this bug in my play, so i can't test it :( )
    If config settings are changed to multiply projectile velocity, and also increase thrust speed, the difference can be noticed.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Back from Tennessee! Fuck Kanye!

Since it looks like skooma changed how beams work I'm going to have to do a little bit of fiddling about before I go any further.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Hey everyone! I did some work and I want some feedback. In this version I did the following.

• Shield changes. Load reduced by half, power consumption while charging tripled. Shields also consume half energy when full.
    • To compensate for shields now consuming power, increased power generation soft cap by 50%
    • Beam range increased by 150
    • Beam power consumption increased by 250
    • Beam damage increased to 7 (from 5)
    • Missile+Pulsator damage combo changed to use smart missiles - since pulsator missiles already have a speed nerf, it makes no sense for them to not at least track their target. This makes them somewhat viable now.
    • Cannon base damage increased
    I'm going to tackle pulsators and effect systems next.

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/2mo6q44m0e6ffan/blockBehaviorConfig.xml

As always, suggestions are welcome.

Reaction score
    I really don't see the point of those shield changes. It would merely make them somewhat less attractive relative to weapon blocks ; scaling issues remain. Combat between similar ships may be a lot shorter , but shield regeneration still inhibits interaction between different scales. Higher power soft cap just means higher efficiency for all ships above 500-1000 mass.

Just cutting combat regeneration to a negligible amount (0.001 or less) would do the trick. ShieldRecoveryMultPerPercent should also be set to 0.99 to further reduce the total damage negated by shield regeneration over the course of battle.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I like that idea, thanks.

edit: Your numbers are a bit exaggerated but they gave me a place to start working. Thanks!

edit2: After playing around for a little bit I came to 0.85 and 0.15. This feels way better imo.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Skoomer up and changed how everything works on me. RIP BBM

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Locking thread on OP's request. Awesome work, Comr4de!

Status
    Not open for further replies.