COMPRESSION!

Reaction score
    Every post I have seen has been in caps and complaining about the game. Its a frickin alpha, and is already \"better\" than Minecraft. Quit complaining and build a three thousand block long ship or something.

Reaction score
    I actually waiting for fixes in minecraft while playing starmade...

Why don`t you wait for fixes in starmade playing minecraf?

Reaction score
    Please don\'t tell lies like \"Schema doesn\'t know how to compress data\". If that was true, we might aswell have no StarMade at all. I don\'t honestly care how many features game might get, without any compression it would just be a laggy pile of garbage. There are alot of guides over internet on how to compress/decompress with Java.

Another related issue is that harddisk access should be limited to absolute minimum. For programmer it is very easy to treat it like memory, and use it realtime. But it\'s actually a physical layer that loses durability over time. Each cell on a typical harddisk can only be written to 2 million times. It is surprisingly small number when you think about how many years you want your HDD data to be intact. Now if you\'d have a badly handled voxel map, always written on same spot on the disk (typical for uncompressed data) even if nothing changed, it would be killing our hardware faster than normal software. I don\'t know if StarMade does this, but server data almost exceeding 1GB is not a good hint. Compared to Minecraft, biggest world i have is 88Mb, and it\'s explored a lot. Most worlds fit to 20Mb. StarMade planet and asteroid sizes combined doesn\'t come even close to MC data amounts.

These said, you can have the chunks in RAM in compressed form. Decompress when they are needed, and dispose of them by writing the compressed version to disk. RAM is faster than disk access. I shouldn\'t even need to be saying these beginner level programming tips... i want to trust Schema knows what he/they are doing.