Communicate or Check Java Installation Requirements (64 bit vs 32 bit)

Reaction score
    Hello,
    I excitedly downloaded StarMade via Steam on my Mac. Upon first launch it asked me to install Java with a button that took me to a page to download. It all worked great... until I approached a planet. Then I ran into all sorts of memory errors and repeat crashes that tarnished my first day of game experiences. I then booted into Windows 7 (gotta love Bootcamp). Same issues from Steam install.

It turned out that this was due to the 32 bit version of Java being installed. In Windows, it even labeled the game Window as 32 bit. With that Java version having a 2GB memory limit, I bet new players will run into this issue often.

In case someone is having issues and finds this post...

The fix for Windows (as found in other forum posts going back as far as 2014).
    1. Close StarMade and uninstall Java from the Windows Control Panel.
    2. Install the 64 bit "offline" version of Java found here:
      https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
    For the Mac, I imagine the solution is similar. I haven't tried it yet as I'm having some success building a luxury liner/asteroid obliterator on the PC (totally worth the 10 bucks and Java troubleshooting).

... oh, why did I place that core there. I'll save the request to move a ship core for another time. ;)

Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited: