Collisions ?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Hello,

Are collisions planned ?

On the main page from the old website, i could read something about collisions, but once ingame, nothing. When i went straight to a station with my small ship, i was expecting my ship to be destroyed and the station to be damaged, but nothing happened. When i went into a meteorite, it moved, but my ship still had no damage.

I'm playing both Starmade and Space Engineers, and like them. I've found that the only thing i miss in SM compared to SE is the collisions.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Collision damage isn't on because people would just ram your oversized, stupidly minmaxed ca-
    You know what, that sounds actually pretty good idea.

Add collision damage, remove minmaxin.

Reaction score
    you can activate it
    You can activate realistic ship damage as ship breakage into pieces, but from what I heard it is still pretty buggy. You cannot have that realistic damage be due to collisions.

Ship collision damage would be terrible. People would be constantly breaking their ships when landing, trolls would push your ships into each other, you couldn't ram your ship into a position you can get into it anymore, meaning you would have to abandon ships if you parked them wrong, etc. You can damage ships by ramming them with the bomb blocks attached to your ship, but anything more would be annoying.

Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    Yes. It should be an option, not a implementation. It it was always on, I wouldn't bring myself to play multiplayer again.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    There's an option in server.cfg,
    It should look like this;

COLLISION_DAMAGE = false //colliding into another object does damage (experimental)

Set it to true. There you go.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    There's an option in server.cfg,
    It should look like this;

COLLISION_DAMAGE = false //colliding into another object does damage (experimental)

Set it to true. There you go.
    yes but its messy and bugged

Reaction score
    This should be a server-based option. I personally support collision damage, as it would mean players would have to think and pay attention to where they were going. Make it relative to speed/angle and have shields absorb some of the damage but not all so your fighter wouldn't be instantly demolished if you accidentally skipped off of an asteroid or structure, but increase the damage if you hit it head on at top speed. And also limit the breakup of a ship to one that has actually been destroyed. It would add another level of realism/immersion if you had to slow down to navigate through a group of asteroids, or go around them, and smaller ships would have a better chance of hiding out in an asteroid field if they were being chased (or setting up an ambush). This would make minefields much more effective. Plus, it wold add a different dynamic for ships approaching shops or stations, as they would have to slow down and make a proper approach for docking.

Reaction score
    Seems like a f~un idea...

RAMMING SPEED. >:u

Would also help keep people from ramming planets hopefully if it will make their ship crumple.

Reactions: Winterhome
    Reaction score
    Though given how things work now I just realized that if you were flying swiftly, and a station rendered as you were halfway through it with collision damage on.... It might make things awkward...

Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm also concerned about ships with a high thrust/mass ratio trying to dock and just whacking something at full speed.

Reaction score
    A balance would have to be established. Or ship controls easier to maneuver.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    In a realistic space sim like SE or SC, collision damage is a cool idea. In a minecraft inspired space sim like SM, it can detract from the fun of the game - try gently landing your ship on a planet and you're almost guaranteed a few blocks missing from the bottom.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    You can activate the experimental (and EXTREMELY buggy) feature in the server configs.

Besides, before we get actual repair beams I'd rather have it not be activated. Imagine repairing by hand something a griefer did by ramming your ship?