Chat System Suggestion

Reaction score
    Obviously this is just a suggestion and you have complete right to say it's a crap idea but,

I was thinking you guys should run a IRC Server for starmade, as you will have the power to create rooms like #help, #servers, #support there would be minimal change to the way you guys currently have your chat system working. If you do run a IRC Server you can use something like lightirc to embed a chat client on the site, I believe that that particular IRC client is flash. You can add a variable to the login system you have so you can only use the IRC server if you are registered and login on the site with a UID code that gets generated after login. This way the chat will be exactly like the one you have now where users have to use there username from site to chat and you can block other inbound connections if you choose (I wouldn't recommend it).[Note that the UID code will allow the feature of a autologin where once you login to the site you are already logged into the IRC server like the current chat system ]

I think this would be a good idea as if the site went down due to a servere DDoS attack users will still beable to communicate to each other and the community wouldn't be left in the dark. Staff will have more "Moderation" powers on the chat so it is easier to get users to abid to the rules.

You could also run a Bot to auto answer particular questions like a FAQ so staff don't get bombarded by stupid questions which people would only need to google, or read on the site. The IRC Server would also allow server owners to run a chatroom for there servers and have more freedom with how they want to organize there little communities.

Obviously again feel free to say no or if you have any questions on how it would work please reply.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'d love to see an IRC for the starmade website. I often try and jump in support whilst I\'m away from my PC and try to help people through my iPhone using teamviewer. IRC would make that entire process much simpler since I could connect to it directly from the phone.

Just my 10 cents though :)