Charon 2.0 - A WIP super titan [Update 5 : new medium turret]

Reaction score
    to solve the problem of blind spots put turrets kind of like the one @Vanka did on the dominance hive ship, there set into the hull so they don't protrude and they cover the unfortunate blind spots

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    to solve the problem of blind spots put turrets kind of like the one @Vanka did on the dominance hive ship, there set into the hull so they don't protrude and they cover the unfortunate blind spots
    I actually plan on putting turrets in the middle section of each wing (the grey part). If it doesn't look good I'll do what you suggested. However, unlike Vanka, my surfaces aren't flat so it may be a bit hard to do without creating a big hole...

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    UPDATE 8.1: Significant progress on the wings/spikes.

Those last holes are going to be pretty problematic since I can't use the technique I've been using for the other surfaces (I could but it would turn out really ugly and unpolished)... Oh well :p

Doesn't that just look better than an empty frame?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm thinking the center part of the wing should be flattened, and the panels that go into the center be thickened at that point instead of going to points.

Reaction score
    I'm thinking the center part of the wing should be flattened, and the panels that go into the center be thickened at that point instead of going to points.
    You mean, like a TIE?

*runs like hell*

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    No, I was talking about the center both vertically and horizontally. The pointy bits on the end of the wing/shield work fine. Let me just show you instead of confusing everyone. However, that compression to a point at the center looks weird. Also, having a flat bit there would improve the hape of the curve.

Reactions: WarmasterRaptor

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    No, I was talking about the center both vertically and horizontally. The pointy bits on the end of the wing/shield work fine. Let me just show you instead of confusing everyone. However, that compression to a point at the center looks weird. Also, having a flat bit there would improve the hape of the curve.
    Edit: I didn't see the picture due to being on my phone with limited data. That's actually a pretty good idea, I'll try out a variation of what you suggested once I get home. The back middle section was bothering me a bit and I was thinking of a way to fix it.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    UPDATE 8.1: Significant progress on the wings/spikes.

Those last holes are going to be pretty problematic since I can't use the technique I've been using for the other surfaces (I could but it would turn out really ugly and unpolished)... Oh well :p

Doesn't that just look better than an empty frame?
    Looks awesome :D! And keep up the great work :D!

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That awkward moment when turret turn rate is balanced and your turrets are too slow to keep up with anything. :P

...Either way, this looks pretty neat. Can't wait to see how it turns out when it's done.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    That awkward moment when turret turn rate is balanced and your turrets are too slow to keep up with anything. :p

...Either way, this looks pretty neat. Can't wait to see how it turns out when it's done.
    Well, the giant turret is meant as an Anti-capital weapon and the smaller ones are anti-frigate weapons. So I don't think it will be a problem.

Besides, who needs tracking when the missiles can home in on a target ;)

Reaction score
    hey keptick i just made a new thread on a station im building thats roughly going to be the same size as your turret :) can you pop over and give some sugestions?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I love the original design, but the wings seem to be a bit OTT for my liking now. I would love to see a version without them OR a version in which the wings are actually high-tech plasma turrets. That would be neat :)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I love the original design, but the wings seem to be a bit OTT for my liking now. I would love to see a version without them OR a version in which the wings are actually high-tech plasma turrets. That would be neat :)
    Making the wings into turrets is something I actually thought about. But it would cause so many problems due to turret clipping derp and no poaition reset that I decided against it.

The wings also look a lot better with the finished hull :P . To be honest, when something doesn't seem right I just remove it. But I have a mental image of the finished product and it looks pretty decent. Once it's finished I can definitively make a wingless version.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Fair enough - I'd fly it without the wings :P

I was thinking about making a similar length titan, maybe a little shorter with a bulky forward section and a sort of swept up wasp-like tail. Started making plans and drawings but I sort of can't seem to start working on it - every time I get on SM it gives me a headache knowing I'll have to spend another few months building that ship :S Lonely task :P

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Hi

I'd just like to let everyone know that I haven't died and that I'll soon start working on this thing again. I just repaired my 3D printer and had some fun printing stuff with it. Now that it's all sorted out I'll be continuing progress on this ship.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    Hi

I'd just like to let everyone know that I haven't died and that I'll soon start working on this thing again. I just repaired my 3D printer and had some fun printing stuff with it. Now that it's all sorted out I'll be continuing progress on this ship.
    3d ... printer ... you have one of those o.o

Perhaps you could make a scale model of Charon :D

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    3d ... printer ... you have one of those o.o

Perhaps you could make a scale model of Charon :D
    Yep, built it last year! Printing out the charon is something that I'd really like to do but the export function on smedit is borked and it would be a task in itself to calibrate the printer for something like this :P

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    UPDATE 9:
    This is the most recent iteration of the oblivion drone that is to be installed en masses on the Charon. It features double missile turrets, a freeze beam, extremely powerful back mounted vertical lock-on missiles and overdrive :D .

Edit: added the correct images :p

Last edited:
    Reactions: Rumcajz