Charon 2.0 - A WIP super titan [Update 5 : new medium turret]

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Update #1
    Ok, so I decided to give an addition to the back (it was already very incomplete). I'm currently in the process of adding engines back there.

It's a pretty major change and I'm still wondering if it was a good idea or not. Also keep in mind that the turret placement will most likely change ans it's just a rough shape.

So, what do you guys think (honestly)?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Its a little early to tell to be perfectly honest. However I do like the needle eye look it gives the ship. I feel confident in saying your exploring an aesthetically pleasing direction. Now about that torpedo sized exhaust port above the main reactor on your turret...

Reactions: Keptick

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Its a little early to tell to be perfectly honest. However I do like the needle eye look it gives the ship. I feel confident in saying your exploring an aesthetically pleasing direction. Now about that torpedo sized exhaust port above the main reactor on your turret...
    Thanks for the good feedback! I'm really trying things out here :P . I'm pretty sure that it will look fine at a further building stage.

As for the turret, I'm satisfied with the look atm. But don't worry, knowing myself I'm going to be making variants of the ship and turrets once it's done.

Reaction score
    Ha! yep I can see it now your flying in formation when your turret swings his way to target an enemy ship and the collision sends him spinning off into the vast emptiness of space. However all joking aside those huge turrets create their own blind spots against small craft. Remember shields don't regenerate while under fire so even a small fighter can shoot you down if he's not doing anything for the next few hours. I have a friend who takes perverse pleasure in shooting down massive ships with little ones.

generalBLT13

Scary grrrrr
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Purchased!
    dem some decorated turrets... nice work hope the interior is as good as the exterior.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Your forgetting gopher that everyone makes AA turrets ;)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Gopher, shields still regen with a reduced percentage. If that regen is higher than your dps than the shields will regen whatever you do to it. But that's beside the point.

I'm placing the turrets in a way that they can cover each other's blindspots. I'll probably toss some smaller turrets on there too.

Did I mention the drone bay? It will hold AT LEAST 25 drones (if not much, much more). You know... an AI mothership can't come without it's own contingent of drones. They are going to be small though, around 55 mass, with the other docked ships also being equipped with AI.

Ps: thanks blt :D I'll try my best on the interiors!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Keptick I still don't know how I feel about your turret being larger than my new Heavy Cruiser I'm building. It just seems wrong... Maybe if you could include an exhaust gas port right above the turrets main reactor?
    I think everyone would feel better, besides that thing has to exhaust weapons grade plasma from somewhere right?

Right?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Since everyone is talking about the turret, I'll go ahead and say that it is about 4 times a s long as my largest finished ship, let alone mass. :P

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    The turret uses a reverse plasma flux cycle to redirect any and all biproducts at the enemy. The plasma produced is also used to superheat the antimater projectiles. In case of power systems failure the excess plasma is rerouted to secondary fusion coils where it is used to supply emergency power to the weapon systems.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The turret uses a reverse plasma flux cycle to redirect any and all biproducts at the enemy. The plasma produced is also used to superheat the antimater projectiles. In case of power systems failure the excess plasma is rerouted to secondary fusion coils where it is used to supply emergency power to the weapon systems.
    Nice technobabble.

In regards to the changed aft portion of the ship, I think it's a bit flat. You might want to add some sort of pod to the back to break up the infinite plane of uniform you seem to be making.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Nice technobabble.

In regards to the changed aft portion of the ship, I think it's a bit flat. You might want to add some sort of pod to the back to break up the infinite plane of uniform you seem to be making.
    Yea, I've been thinking the same thing (about the flatness). I just haven't figured out a way to change that yet (it'll come).

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Wow... That turret looks like a ship itself... Can't wait to see it finished, great work. I'd never make anything as cool as this.:D I'll definitely keep an eye on this.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Wow... That turret looks like a ship itself... Can't wait to see it finished, great work. I'd never make anything as cool as this.:D I'll definitely keep an eye on this.
    You just reminded me that I forgot to transfer pictures of the smaller turrets.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Ok, this isn't really an update but I forgot to transfer it from the old site. So, here are some close ups of the smaller point defense turrets.
    • 74k dps at 1km range, 42k dps at 1.5km range (mixed amc group sizes)
    • self-powered
    • 400k shields
    • 120m long.

For those wondering, I'm currently working on the main ships' engines.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Trafalgar
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Small! That's HUGE, bigger than my biggest finished ship! Love you're work, keep it up:D!