Charon 2.0 - A WIP super titan [Update 5 : new medium turret]

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Keptick, what are you planning on adding/refitting when the new rail system comes out, and how do you plan on going about it? I ask this because I'm aware there is a small section of this community that has massively detailed capital ships, mine included, and have probably found this new "technology" both a blessing and a curse. I build without weapons, so what it comes down to is the detail I made in the rest of the ship that could have used all these cool features is buried under other detailed areas, and I would have to pull my ship apart to add in moving armor plates, for instance. Right now I believe the extent of my uses for this system will involve interior-to-exterior turrets and docking platforms that fold into the ship hold. What are your ideas?
    This is what I'll do when the update comes out;
    • Total turret refit. Every turret model will have to be updated and replaced.
    • Drone system upgrade.
    • Better hangar doors and hangar system. Possibly having a tray slide out onto which the ship will dock and then slide back into the hangar.
    • possible "battle mode", where plates will open to reveal weapons, turrets moving (maybe concealed turrets) and other stuff.
    • Proper chaff system.
    • Some visual stuff. I'll probably take the opportunity to re-make the main engine.

Reaction score
    With as much effort to make it visually appealing? Probably not. Most people abandon these kinds of projects. However, there's a lot of bricks or crappy piles of system that attain the same size/mass, unfortunately...

The up-side is that they usually don't have very optimal systems or turrets because the maker just slaps as many blocks together as possible without stopping to think if there's a more efficient way of doing it.
    All the other superbuilders are on his side. :p

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    refirendum 's reaction to the internal layout (I was giving her a tour) made me realize that the single loop/hub gravity tube layout for every room literally mindf*cks the shiet out of people not used to three-dimensional layouts. This kinda plays in favor of the ship's unsettling nature, which is good. I don't want people to start getting comfy while walking around this thing :p.

Here's how the whole system works. Every room is connected in a loop to a single hub (apart from the hangars and reactor rooms which share an intersection). Every room has a single exit, with the entry point automatically closing itself after a player has entered the room. The hub is logic controlled; the player has to press the appropriate labeled button, doing so will light up the rim of the right tube to take, which will open up once the player attempts to enter it. It's impossible to get in a tube without pressing the appropriate button.

The result is a bit disorienting. However, you don't need to know where you are in the ship to get where you want, the system does it for you.

Idiot's guide to Charon interior navigation;
    • There's a single exit out of each room.
    • Don't manually open doors.
    • Read the signs.
    • Jump if the logic fucks up because of lag (if you get stuck in a tube).

Reactions: Creeper__God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The Charon is certainly truly awe inspiring. Out of curiosity just how big is it these days? (so I can compare the puniness of my own ships against its glory).

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    refirendum 's reaction to the internal layout (I was giving her a tour) made me realize that the single loop/hub gravity tube layout for every room literally mindf*cks the shiet out of people not used to three-dimensional layouts. This kinda plays in favor of the ship's unsettling nature, which is good. I don't want people to start getting comfy while walking around this thing :p.

Here's how the whole system works. Every room is connected in a loop to a single hub (apart from the hangars and reactor rooms which share an intersection). Every room has a single exit, with the entry point automatically closing itself after a player has entered the room. The hub is logic controlled; the player has to press the appropriate labeled button, doing so will light up the rim of the right tube to take, which will open up once the player attempts to enter it. It's impossible to get in a tube without pressing the appropriate button.

The result is a bit disorienting. However, you don't need to know where you are in the ship to get where you want, the system does it for you.

Idiot's guide to Charon interior navigation;
    • There's a single exit out of each room.
    • Don't manually open doors.
    • Read the signs.
    • Jump if the logic fucks up because of lag (if you get stuck in a tube).
    you also gave me a tour :P
    and thanks for that, it was really nice to see it ingame instead of only seeing pictures. Especially since I was able to see all the small details that one cannot see on pictures.
    It was in general an amazing experience (being a builder) to walk around in such a big and old project which have had so much attention.
    Keep on kepping, keppy

Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Every time I come back to this thread (every few weeks/months) I see it progress more and more, when my own projects are long dead.

It's good to see this one is very much alive :) It has come a looong way. Keep it up!

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Every time I come back to this thread (every few weeks/months) I see it progress more and more, when my own projects are long dead.

It's good to see this one is very much alive :) It has come a looong way. Keep it up!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Ok, the systems are going to have to wait a while because they're a f*cking massive pain to make. Not because of their size, but because of how underpowered my comp is for the task (massive lag spike every time I place down a shield block, they don't render instantly, which isn't productive). I've been planning a new computer for a while now, and should get it built once school ends (in three-four weeks).
    I also had issues building a super-massive ship. It's currently on hold because my computer was zapped during a big power surge in my area. Fortunately, I was also planning a new high-powered PC which should run this monster just fine. When I stopped building it, the block count was somewhere over 12 million...

Yeah, I got a ton of work to go, and updates as well. And when I say a ton of work, I haven't started on interior structure yet, just major systems...

2,001 blocks long...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Is that a SMEDIT Leviathan?
    Yes, yes it is. I'm an old veteran of EVE, and the one ship I always wanted to fly was the Caldari Leviathan. I remember seeing the scenic one in orbit around Caldari Prime before it was destroyed, and I was simply in AWE of the thing.

The one in the picture is an imported OBJ file porter straight from the main EVE files, converted in Binvox, and then placed into SMEDIT. When it's imported actually the model is just large enough to make this monster almost 1/9th scale, which puts it at just over 2k blocks long. I also filled the ship with shield capacitor blocks, and am carving the interior out from that. Even with a pre-made exterior shell though, the interior has to be all custom made from the ground up. So does the primary and secondary hanger too.

My only regret is that I can't make one that's full size.

Some day...

EMC007

The guy who's always in way over his head
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I used to think my titans were big...

Seriously, amazing job, I don't think that I could have ever built anything like that, (that can also be meant literally, my computer would catch fire if I did)

How many shields does it have atm?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Now I came to think of it, Charon is almost twice as long and wider than my Leviathan Carrier, which is the single biggest and laggiest I have ever attempted... Kudos to you!

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I used to think my titans were big...

Seriously, amazing job, I don't think that I could have ever built anything like that, (that can also be meant literally, my computer would catch fire if I did)

How many shields does it have atm?
    Currently? About 100 million. Estimated final shield count is in the 500 million range.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    UPDATE 28: Vertical missile silos

Sorry about the ship not being fully loaded in, my computer can't handle it while making gifs. The gifs are also accelerated an derpy, so you can't see half of the animation. It looks a lot better in-game.

Each tube lights up when it fires, as can be seen in the above image.

Here's the logic for those wondering

This update is pretty self explanatory, the missiles fire one at a time in 0.5 second intervals (so 4 per second because there's silos on each side of the ship). Each missile deals something around 150k damage, so pretty solid damage output. Each missile is an individual heat seeker (missile-missile with 0% slave). The entire thing is hotbar activated on/off, making it easy to see at a glance if it's on or not (if the giant amount of missiles flying all over the place isn't obvious enough).

I'd like to point out that I haven't done any detailing on the contours yet, and that all the turrets are removed in those pictures due to the update. That's what I'll be working on next ^_^. Like/dislike? Leave a comment!

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ahh too many shields :p
    I like the design and think you've got a ship which fits you.

But personally, (for a ship bigger than a fighter) I like ships which are easier to equip and customize.
    If you can't make something a module (due to game mechanics) make it in a way that you can easily replace it with one once it's possible).

Small ships: like my fat puddle jumper, there it's good to optimize the hell out of system-placement to get the shape you want in a tiny space.
    But for big ships, intelligent long-lasting designs and few checker-board patters are important to me.​

Else peoples which are not skilled builders and want their multi-kilometer ship will all fly around in the very very same thing |or|
    cut ugly 8x8x8 chunks where nobody sees them to get space for customisation.​