Charon 2.0 - A WIP super titan [Update 5 : new medium turret]

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hey, you should make the walkway to the core platform out of glass doors.

Also, I'm impressed with the drone racks. Too bad I won't be able to replicate them on my cruiser.

Reactions: Keptick

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Hey, you should make the walkway to the core platform out of glass doors.

Also, I'm impressed with the drone racks. Too bad I won't be able to replicate them on my cruiser.
    And have it extend out with logic? That's actually a neat idea! I planned (and scrapped) having lights on the walkway open up to the core as a player walks in. However, having a glass walkway extending when the player enters should be very interesting :) .

Thanks for the idea!

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    My current project is a 375 m long ship. I started with the hull and don't even bother with any systems as long as weapons are partly bugged and unbalanced and the new thrust system and the HP system aren't in place. Also, I'm hoping for better turrets and docking. The only interior consists of hangars and modular reactors, and even that is built on assumptions of future improvements.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Also, let me guess: the drones were deployed by undocking them before you started recording.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Also, let me guess: the drones were deployed by undocking them before you started recording.
    Why the hell would I do that?

That would just be sooooooo impractical, could you imagine having to get in the rack to undock them mid fight?. No, there's actually a mechanism to trigger their unlocking ( hint: using area activators, a docked core and a push beam)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Update #17: AI-core

New update! I finished the AI-core room (not to be confused with the core room). I intentionally made this one with a much darker atmosphere to make it more intimidating (and scary). So yea, scary AI: chek!

(needs a massive databank, right?)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yes, it looks cool.
    But... it's also not making sense to me. Is that sphere the AI core? If it is, why is it connected through a cable that thin? I doubt there's enough bandwidth for all the sensors and controlling the ship as well. And why is the memory bank that close, but separated by a glass wall so the connection has to go around? I can't think of a reason you would want it close, but not that close. And if the core isn't the sphere, why have the sphere? what does it do? Can a wall console do the same thing?

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If it is, why is it connected through a cable that thin? I doubt there's enough bandwidth for all the sensors and controlling the ship as well.
    Thin? That cable should have enough bandwidth for the entire internet.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Is that sphere the AI core?
    Yes

If it is, why is it connected through a cable that thin?
    Are you talking about the cable at the back? Because it's freaking thick (3 meters thick of cable, think about it). You might be confused with the mechanical support it's mounted on.

And why is the memory bank that close, but separated by a glass wall so the connection has to go around?
    The connection is already going around (the AI is jacked into the wall behind it). As for the glass, it's mostly for the cool factor and to not have a bland sphere bottom.

I can't think of a reason you would want it close, but not that close.
    The AI is directly connected into the memory banks, that's why it's so close.

And if the core isn't the sphere, why have the sphere? what does it do?
    It's the brain of the ship, the artificial intelligence's core (not to be confused with the ship's core). That evil looking sphere with the eye IS the AI, the data banks under it are just there to provide extra processing power and memory. If you absolutely want to look at it from a non-roleplaying and purely game play standpoint then doesn't do anything, it's purely decorative and is a complete waste of space (which I couldn't care less about).

Can a wall console do the same thing?
    A wall console could be used to access the AI, it's not the same thing. This is the actual computer/artificial brain that controls the ship (from a rp standpoint), not an access terminal. Of course, I could just make the entire thing a console embedded into a wall, but that would be extremely dull.

You're really overthinking things, it's a futuristic AI in a futuristic ship in a blocky space simulator, real science limitations just don't apply here :p . Think of it this way: Hal got an upgrade. @ltmauve

Last edited:
    Reactions: Shadebringer
    Reaction score
    well done and decorated, i look forward to hopefully being on your crew sir *salutes*

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Keptick's ship reminds me more and more of some kind of cyberman mother ship.
    I can hear it screaming at smaller human vessels:
    You will be upgraded

Reactions: Keptick

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Keptick's ship reminds me more and more of some kind of cyberman mother ship.
    I can hear it screaming at smaller human vessels:
    You will be upgraded
    EXACTLY!!! XD

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    The bridge is now a bridge?
    *DINGDINGDINGDING* WE HAVE A WINNEEEEEER.

Yes, the bridge is now a bridge (well, it's always been...). It's just that Zeno convinced me that I needed a sleeker bridge, so here it is :p. I have yet to add all the tech/sensor/AI detail stuff to it, but it already looks better than the old one imho. Oh by the way, I'm still just going to make a single control point in that new bridge, the view is just going to be better.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Well before it looked like some AI eye of some sort so it did not register as a man-able bridge