Recognized by Council Changed targeting of Copy/Paste Tool

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    At the moment the copy/paste tool in advanced build mode is hard to target:

--> You have to use the sliders to get the right size.
    --> You have to watch out how the box behaves on different surfaces.
    --> You probably have to place an extra block to get everything into the box.
    -->Pasting needs probably another block to get it to the right place.
    --> After this you have to remember to delete all the extra blocks.

My idea:

--> Change the targeting of the copy/paste tool to the targeting system of the docking tool while placing the core. It would make it possible to place the box in copy/paste even if there is no block to click on.

Benefits:

--> You don´t have to watch out how the box behaves on different surfaces.
    --> You don´t have to place an extra block to get everything into the box.
    -->Pasting doesn´t needs another block to get it to the right place.
    --> You don´t have to remember to delete all the extra blocks.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    This has one major downside though. If you copy/paste something huge [say 495 blocks long] it is relatively easy to either copy too much or cut something off, especially if you don't know the exact length of what you want to copy. As such, I suggest making this a general setting for how buildmode behaves. It'll also be useful for placing freely floating blocks.

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    I don´t really see how the current targeting system solves the problems you describe. As long as there is an option to not place this extra blocks it´s fine with me.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This really needs to happen its so annoying to use as it is right now.

Reaction score
    This is amazing idea, it reminded my a Make a docked entity UI where you can place a block in mid air Exept i think you need to be able to see the stuff you are pasting in order to make sure you are pasting to the right spot,

other idea i had was to have 6 sliders 2 both dirrection on all 3 axis so you could literally select any block to be the base location on the copy and then use the UI mentioned earlier to Paste.

Or the easiest change would be to Have both Copy and Paste areas be the same and based on the same corner.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    What Nightrune said.

Or this idea: After the volume of the copy is dialed in using XYZ sliders & at the moment the copy tab is clicked there magically appears a paste-block (kitty corner to the copy block where it would need to be to paste the template precisely back in the same spot and orientation) Call this a Paste-reference block. Then you just need stack a few blocks onto the reference block to nudge a template in any direction for your paste.
    In printing this would be like a registration-mark.

I make these blocks my self but getting everything lined up is a lot of time-consuming scaffolding that seems to need trial and error in spite of being an experienced builder.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I suggest making this a general setting for how buildmode behaves. It'll also be useful for placing freely floating blocks.
    I agree with making it an option, but for a different reason. The current system is much faster, once you get it set up. Being able to click and paste many copies from a distance is quite handy. I'd rather not lose that ability, and have to fly right up next to each spot I want to paste. A simple "Floating Paste" check box in the Advanced Build Mode settings would be great.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would love to be able to select the invisible opposite corners of my selection area to define my copy area. Preferably with different clicks, so I can re-size as needed when I see the bounding box. Ideally you could also define the corner that acts as an anchor as well, if not be the first\last click, some other way.