Recognized by Council Change to Shared Shields for Rails

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    For small ships that were built for looks, it becomes annoying having to replace any aesthetic rail parts after a battle that lowers the ship's shields below 50%. For example, a small fighter that has its windshield on rails (like a Star Wars X-wing) and/or landing legs on rails often needs to have them replaced after battles, even if the rest of the ship's shields never reached zero.

Turrets should still only have 50% shields since they are a part of combat, but aesthetic parts should be protected by the main ship's shields to 100%.

Of course, there are docked power generators. Since they provide a benefit, they should have 50% shields, so I would suggest to give any rails with computers/modules 50% shields and any without them get 100% shields.

EDIT: Since docked reactors aren't a problem anymore, just give 100% shared shields to anything on a rail basic and 50% shared shields to anything on a turret axis.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would also add warheads. Anything with a computer or a warhead should be 50%, everything else 100%. I'm pretty sure that cuts out all the combat-useful things you could possibly do with rails.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I would also add warheads. Anything with a computer or a warhead should be 50%, everything else 100%. I'm pretty sure that cuts out all the combat-useful things you could possibly do with rails.
    Aren't warheads useless when protected by shields anyways though, or am I mistaken?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Aren't warheads useless when protected by shields anyways though, or am I mistaken?
    I don't know because I don't personally use them, but either way, it would include torpedoes you haven't launched yet.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I don't know because I don't personally use them, but either way, it would include torpedoes you haven't launched yet.
    Oo! Good point, it would make missile-bay doors 1.5x as useful. :)

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think there needs to be a special exception for warheads: If they are placed in build mode, they probably should have shield protection. However, if they are placed by an external entity (think: boarding party), they should have 0% shield protection. (think: demo charges)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think there needs to be a special exception for warheads: If they are placed in build mode, they probably should have shield protection. However, if they are placed by an external entity (think: boarding party), they should have 0% shield protection. (think: demo charges)
    I don't know how technically feasible that is. It might be easier to make astronaut weapons ignore shields when hitting warheads.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Just remove DPRs and give all non-turrets full shield sharing. It's simpler with less potential for glitches.

Reaction score
    Just remove DPRs and give all non-turrets full shield sharing. It's simpler with less potential for glitches.
    So anything essentially connected with a turret rail axis gets partial, anything else gets 100%? If that's what you meant, I 100% agree.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Just for info, shield sharing limit is 25%, not 50% anymore. But things like hangar doors are still pretty much useless compared to plex doors.

Reaction score
    I had issues with that too...
    As it is at the moment I need to put all the Shields, Energy and such in one part of the Ship so others can inherit it, and even a smaller craft is littered with ship cores due to cosmetic retractable wings that are permadocked anyway (so why do they require cores? Asteroids don't need them...)

But having something like a Permadocker that is built upon a rail like the current 'create docking' and creates an entity without a shipcore would be nice, even better if it could then be modified using the core/buildblock on the main Ship... (the block one is aiming at would be the entity it gets attached to, like in Astronaut mode and wireless logic would probably still have to be used and that's fine ^^)
    Any stats would then get added to the ship as a whole (Shields, energy,...) and regarded as the same pool(s).

And if one docks a new one (proximity docking) or manages to undock one by removing the rail it's on it should be handled like any other block additions/removals are in combat. So that it can't be used for fighters and stuff because it would reduce the Current HP or increase Max HP when docked/undocked in combat. (although, if possible, they should then only be undockable/dockable manually and not via logic... if possible)

This would significantly reduce clutter on the interface in combat with/against ships with raildoors/lifts/... and such while Turrets could still be targetable (but maybe the base wouldn't require a core but only the barrel...) if they'd require a shipcore to be present if the Bobby AI is supposed to do anything at all. (or instead make bobby AI modules targetable when no ship core is present...)