Can scanners be accessed in the new GUI?

Reaction score
    Add that to the list of stuff that was left out of the new GUI...
    - scanner tab
    - names next to blueprints (especially for admin use)
    - "search for last entered ship" option
    - ship inventory access
    - faction members' last login times (why was this removed?...)
    - several faction point tab things
    and more than likely several other things

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    names next to blueprints

Names of the owner are shown when you click on the BP for more info. You can also filter/search by name at the bottom. Not exactly sure how it is lacking in that regard.

Makes you realize how many windows, sections and buttons there were in hindsight though. Also shows how we need more testers to test things in the Dev builds.

Reaction score
    CyberTao
    What I mean is that the blueprint creator column was removed from this screen, which was far more intuitive and convenient than the current search system.

Also I just realized that Admins can no longer change the creator of a blueprint, meaning that everyone is basically screwed in a database import/move because all their bp's will be under the name "unknown" and free for the taking by anyone.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Fair enough, but it wasn't so much "left out" as it was "changed or altered". Probably a preference thing really. Definitely quite a few things got missed though.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    I can't believe how the testers missed the fact that if you try to access the nav in multiplayer you crash...

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I can't believe how the testers missed the fact that if you try to access the nav in multiplayer you crash...
    Testers just test the new features, I'm not sure if they even play with the Dev build much. Probably goes along the line of Patch added -> test patch -> Confirm fix or state -> Submit to tracker. I guess one of the pitfalls of playing alpha is having to be the alpha tester whether you want to or not. The Navigation menu crash only affects MP, and only some of the time as well.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    Testers just test the new features, I'm not sure if they even play with the Dev build much. Probably goes along the line of Patch added -> test patch -> Confirm fix or state -> Submit to tracker. I guess one of the pitfalls of playing alpha is having to be the alpha tester whether you want to or not. The Navigation menu crash only affects MP, and only some of the time as well.
    Well I assumed pushing all the buttons to check if stuff works is #1 on the to-do list.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    i know! strange because i also noticed so many obvious bugs when i started playing within 10 minutes with the new ui.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This leads me to believe we need a PCC.

PCC stands for "player contribution corps." It'd basically be a group you could register for that would test new updates and maybe some other things and report back to the devs. The dev test server would still be open to anyone. There would be a forum page. Essentially, what it does it would make a more official channel for the community to talk to the developers about a new update or somesuch, thereby making the testing more efficient. What do you guys think?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    This leads me to believe we need a PCC.

PCC stands for "player contribution corps." It'd basically be a group you could register for that would test new updates and maybe some other things and report back to the devs. The dev test server would still be open to anyone. There would be a forum page. Essentially, what it does it would make a more official channel for the community to talk to the developers about a new update or somesuch, thereby making the testing more efficient. What do you guys think?
    The Dev server is public though, not always up to date because no one uses it, but it is open to everyone. The tester forums was traded for the bug tracker as well, which kind of works like a forums of sorts?

Kinda sounds like your asking for a group of volunteers to go with our group o f volunteers, since testers are just players who took incentive to look for bugs.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Exactly. A group of volunteers that do their job. They would do their job, because they belong to a group and are told to do so. They'd be like testers, but held to a higher standard..

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Exactly. A group of volunteers that do their job. They would do their job, because they belong to a group and are told to do so. They'd be like testers, but held to a higher standard..
    Honestly, I can't see that really working in the long term. People don't like playing in dev builds cause they are buggy as hell at times. Seems like something a group of players could get together to do, trying to make it 'official' would probably result in AndyP having to constantly manage the group.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Actually you don't need a group for that. As a player it's easy to report bugs or inconsistencies, either on the bug tracker, or, if you're not sure it's your own system or the game, first mention your findings in a thread here to see if you're not the only one with the behavior that you think is a bug. In other words everyone can be a volunteer if they want to.

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Why are you insinuating the testers don't do their job? We are few but we are held to high standards. The release was missing a few features and most of them have been sorted out already. Many of these bugs were already reported as well but remember Schema is only one man and he doesn't get to all them all. The game is also in alpha so every player is essentially an alpha tester. It's entirely possible that bugs do slip by the tester team and will be found by the rest of the community. You want to contribute, fine, http://bugs.star-made.org/ but don't accuse anybody of not doing their job if you don't know any better.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I can confirm that this generation of testers does a whole lot more work than the previous. Last generation was "official cool kids club"

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Why are you insinuating the testers don't do their job? We are few but we are held to high standards. The release was missing a few features and most of them have been sorted out already. Many of these bugs were already reported as well but remember Schema is only one man and he doesn't get to all them all. The game is also in alpha so every player is essentially an alpha tester. It's entirely possible that bugs do slip by the tester team and will be found by the rest of the community. You want to contribute, fine, http://bugs.star-made.org/ but don't accuse anybody of not doing their job if you don't know any better.
    What the fuck? I never insulted any tester. What the hell is wrong with you? I basically suggested that we make the testers a more official group. Your post was overbearing, rude, and unnecessary.

----------------
    On a side note, was the OP addressed?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    What the fuck? I never insulted any tester. What the hell is wrong with you? I basically suggested that we make the testers a more official group. Your post was overbearing, rude, and unnecessary.
    Well if you say somebody isn't doing their job then you should expect harsh response. How exactly are the testers not an official group?

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Isn't this whole game stated to be in Alpha? Alpha and Beta are both testing phases. Playtesting isn't finished until a project moves out of Beta. Doesn't that make all of US the testers?

Now, get back to work testing stuff!
    ;-)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    it depends on your computer... i can acces nav fine in MP without crashing.... all in your drivers sir all in your drivers