Builder seeking mentor to enhance skills.

Reaction score
    Beginning builder looking for mentor that would help him advance his skills

I've built amazing structures in games like Minecraft and such, even worked in the space section of the voxelbox for a while, but I just can't seem to get a hold of how exactly to build ships in this game. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, what I do is download all the top rated ships and look at their designs, and I try to mimic them. I\'m in the same boat as you though.

Reaction score
    download all the top rated ships and look at their designs, and I try to mimic them

This IS a completely wrong way of doing things. I saw the top rated ships, and they are awful. Most of them are there just for their beautiful hull. My advice to you is simple - think it through. I was carrying the idea for my large ship a lot longer than it actually took to build it. First, think what do you want it to look like, and what it\'s function will be. Then, think about the details. What are the best tools to accomplish the ship\'s goal? What of possible tools will best fit the ship\'s image?

Also, when building, be ready for a possible change of plans. Do not be afraid to do stuff you did not plan.

For now, I can think of no more advices. I may post again if i\'ll think of something important.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I think the first step to build anything is to imagine what size you want it to be. Generally you can just use the 2 block height of your astronaut as a good start to see what sort of scale you\'d be using, just to get a feel for how big you want your ship to be.

No matter if it\'s fighter sized, transport, or a warship, I\'d frame out the outside borders of your hull, a skeleton of sorts to start from. Basic power seems to work most efficiently to have a single or dual shaft of generators running the length of your ship, and that should be more than enough juice unless you\'ve got some massive power hungry weapon systems in mind. (and who wouldn\'t love that)

Engines are a nice look to have separately on the back of your ship, but I\'d make sure they were all connected into one engine system underneath the hull to get the most power out of the blocks you\'re putting into it.

For weapon systems or salvage, try to leave room to squeeze your astronaut into whatever space you want the output to be, since you have to get out and manually set the \"primary\" block yourself, as far as I know.

Empty space isn\'t always a bad thing, but overall, I\'d flesh out all your components and make it functional before you \"skin\" it, and make it look like the finest beast you had in mind.

-my 2 cents :) Hope any of that ramble helps! Have fun!