Bresenhams (angle/line) helper

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I suggest adding one more tool to the build helper and that is a Bresenham helper.Players could select any two blocks using c and v and the build helper would tell you which blocks to fill to draw a line between the two selected blocks. If you're like me, and you like building aesthetically pleasing ships, then you probably find building angles to be slightly annoying. Im not talking about angles in the same plane, but angles that traverse a 3d space. For example in a coordinate grid if I wanted to draw a line from (0,0,0) to (1,1,1) would be described by a 45 degree angle in the x,y plane and and a 45 degree angle in the x,z plane. This is a trivial example. Now say I wanted to build a line that traverses from (2, 18,9) to ( 15, 18, 22). This is much more complicated. I can only really guess which blocks to fill along the path between the two points. I suggest a Bresenham's helper to aid in building angles. Bresenhams algorithm decides which blocks to fill on a grid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bresenham's_line_algorithm). Your computer already does this when drawing lines, and the Starmade build helper already has to have some version of this to draw circles and ellipses.

TLDR: Building 3D angles is hard. Add a tool that shows players which blocks to fill to draw a line between any two points.

Reactions: Zeno9141

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    @Block_Fortress showed us a trick to get around this. While it is ghetto, it works. Look and click.

put your build mode view where the line will end and look where it will start, then just spam click, 9 times out of 10 you will get a line that is the angle you need

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I have done that for a long time and the lines tend to become very clean :)