Bomb/Mine bay

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    A small ship with disintegrators pretty much covering it docked to a large ship.

A hangar bay holding 10-20 of these ships inside a mine layer

A plex door hiding the compartment.

An interior cockpit for using the docking beam to open said door.

Am I about to blow a hole in my own ship as soon as they undock?

Is it in any way viable to create a minefield or drop ordnance onto either planets or ships?

Is there any way to make an AI which will ram itself into a target?

Is there a way to map more than one docking bay to one key, so I'm not limited to 9 bombs before reloading?

Reaction score
    Note that you need a docked sub-ship to hold the plexdoor , otherwise the docking beam will have no effect.

The only safe way to drop disintegrator mines in that case is from a standstill and one by one in the right order , moving away from them.

It\'s far better to keep them on the outside of your ship where you can reliably undock them while flying with thrust off.

Disintegrators destroy each other , so you\'ll only need one block per core , unless you design a lance sub-ship with isolated disintegrators in front. AIs will try to face threats with it if you equip short range (single) AMCs as well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I actually already saw more destructive bombs. AI, Two disintegrators, core and trusther. Throw them on planet and see what happens to it after being hit and core overheats

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Well they will fly towards the enemy, but its like a 1/4 chance they will try to ram the enemy.

Reaction score
    While this would be possible I think, it would be limited use as they could be destroyed before detected...to make them efficient, the have to be able to be radarjammed(what AI can\'t do)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Possible solution: overwhelm target with numbers. Small, self-destructing drones expendable. Use as precision strike : inneficient. Poor rate of success.

Proper use: mass charge. Numerous drones, from preferably numerous directions. Ennemy unable to take all of them out. Cannot ignore them, however. Free to use weaponry against distracted ship. Restock on drones after dispatch.

Most logical development of bomb-drones. Signature-jamming technology optional. Perk, but optional.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like your style.

So something like an A-10 plane with boatloads of missles loaded on its wings and a not too shabby main gun?

Problem is, you can only have 10 disintegrator \"missles\" with the current layout, so mass launch isn\'t that effective.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The only easy-fix option currently is to just remove the door. After that, and assuming the bay door opens to the back, you can just link numbers on your keyboard to undocking the mines, and they will drop out as you fly.

Reaction score
    what we really need is for these mines to retain their momentum when they are undocked. that way we can have dive bombers and not have to worry about AIs at all.

Reaction score
    I have tried making something like this and assigning numbers to undock the bomb, however when i undock it the bomb goes to wherever it was when it was docked. So say i docked it in sector 2,2,2 then used the hotkey to undock it in sector 10,10,10, it would go back to 2,2,2. Teleportation :)

Reaction score
    this happens when you don\'t use a faction module. have not tested using the faction permission block yet.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    do u think that u can make a railgun with pulsers and hav bomb ships docked inside a huge barrel? undock them and fire them through the center of the barrel?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Your ship may be blown to pieces if you dont aim your ship and the projectile properely Crimson-Artist, but it is possible to make something like that work.

Reaction score
    want to know how to do that crimson, you know beetlebears 3rd tutorial, turrets, well make a bomb ship like that, cover the sides so unless it turns it wont blow up in barrel, then undock and shoot, but you would have to be not moving to make this work.

Reaction score
    actually, you can press the button for the docking beam. it will undock all objects/ships/turrets/bombs that are currently docked to your ship, thus allowing for a rain of more than ten bombs. the only problem is that turrets become a non-viable option for defense

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Have a large carrier ship with some docks on wings on the outside. Put your missiles with thier payload on the docks. Give them cockpits and engines. Fly towards a target with a good ammount of speed, then release the payload. Be in the cockpit of the missile, and jump out when you get some speed. If you aim good then you wiil hit the target and the dis-intergraters will explode.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    No need to build horrible bomb-ships anymore!

Edit for Clarity- I mean ships comprised of a lump of disinegrators dropped from a larger ship, not the larger ships themselves.